new to mac pro's looking at one on CL

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by espiritujo, Jul 26, 2012.

1. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

So I've been debating on whether or not to purchase a mac pro. Granted, I will be purchasing this used, I decided to look around online and I stumbled on this ad on Craigslist near my area.

2.7 Ghz. processor
    2 gigs of ram
    8 ram slots, expandable to16 gigs
    400 Gig 7200 RPM Fast Hard Drive
    Room for another full size 3.5" SATA Hard Drive inside tower
    Dual Layer SuperDrive, burns everything
    Dual DVI Video card, can run 2 monitors at once
    USB 2.0 ports x3
    Firewire 400 port x2
    Firewire 800 port x1
    10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet
    Sound in port
    Sound out port

And the price: only 200$. My question is, is this a good bargain? Are Mac Pro's easy to upgrade, and what would I be looking at upgrading? And how much would these upgrades cost to be running parallel to a Mac pro that is a year or two old?

2. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

that is not a mac pro, it's a G5

limited to OS 10.5.8 - NonIntel applications

'Obsoleted' machine

that said, it has it's purpose, and $200 is fair if it does what you need and you are not concerned with upgrades

3. espiritujo thread starter macrumors member

espiritujo

man..... thought I had something going good for me.. It still seems like a good deal.. He listed that on the mac it comes with the master collection of CS4 and aperture, despite how old both version of it is. Still seems like it could be handy.. I'll probably just save my money until I see another good computer.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah yeah... pre-installed pirated software. It's common. He doesn't have a legal right to sell it to you, so your chances of getting it installed again if a drive crashes are basically zero. It's not even that good of a deal. Beyond that the older mac pros won't run nearly as fast as the newer ones. You could get somewhat close on a 1,1 to the current base quad if you upgraded it to an 8 core assuming that your software stresses 8 cores effectively (most of it either doesn't or stresses them on a limited number of functions). Even then it's past its supported life, the gpu would still suck. The ram for the 1,1 through 3,1 is expensive. Ideally get a 4,1 or later given that they're still using that logic board and the firmware can be updated to the current version. While I still don't expect them to support it forever, they're tied to this one a bit longer seeing as they still sell it.