Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vader1990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi,

I'm absolutely new to macs. I just recently got the macbook pro (late 2008 unibody), and I've been using bootcamp for a few days.

Is there a way, that I can also install VM ware fusion or parallels and use that VERY SAME partion of bootcamp? For example, can I access the my bootcamp vista from vmware?

also which should I get vmware or parallels? which is better/easier/etc?

thanks!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
When you set up your virtual machine using VMware Fusion it will ask if you want to use what you've already set up using Boot Camp.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
yes. install Boot Camp and then install Fusion and select your Boot Camp partition. its that easy.

i found VMware Fusion a lot easier to use the Boot Camp partition that Parallels which needed some modifying so i know use Fusion.

vader1990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
When you set up your virtual machine using VMware Fusion it will ask if you want to use what you've already set up using Boot Camp.

yes. install Boot Camp and then install Fusion and select your Boot Camp partition. its that easy.

i found VMware Fusion a lot easier to use the Boot Camp partition that Parallels which needed some modifying so i know use Fusion.

thanks for the answers guys, but I heard that some people had problems with VMWare screwing up their bootcamp partition because of VMWare? is this true? also I hear that VMWare CANNOT use your video card? so does this mean I can't play any of my games? will it not recognize the 9600gt? thanks!!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Everything is fine with using Fusion/Parallels. But gaming is a huge no-no. It recognizes the 9600GT, but can't use it. You won't be able to play games using Fusion or Parallels. Boot Camp is much better at that.

vader1990

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Everything is fine with using Fusion/Parallels. But gaming is a huge no-no. It recognizes the 9600GT, but can't use it. You won't be able to play games using Fusion or Parallels. Boot Camp is much better at that.

this is the vmware fusion website link:
http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

it has a pic of them playi g gears of war!!!!! how??????? what??? i'm confused?!!!!!

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
So does this mean that you can have the option to run Windows using bootcamp or VMware/Parallels?

For example, if I install VMware/Parallels will I still have the option of booting from windows to run it at Native speeds? Or will I only be able to use VMWare/Parallels within Mac OS X to use Windows programs?

What is the best way to have both options? I would like to be able to boot from Windows on occasion for gaming, but would also like the convenience of VMWare/Parallels for programs such as MS Word, where I don't need the highest performance.

Thanks

Neil321

macrumors 68040
So does this mean that you can have the option to run Windows using bootcamp or VMware/Parallels?

For example, if I install VMware/Parallels will I still have the option of booting from windows to run it at Native speeds? Or will I only be able to use VMWare/Parallels within Mac OS X to use Windows programs?

What is the best way to have both options? I would like to be able to boot from Windows on occasion for gaming, but would also like the convenience of VMWare/Parallels for programs such as MS Word, where I don't need the highest performance.

Thanks

The best option is to run your VM off a windows partition, that way should you ever need native speed you shutdown your VM and boot into bootcamp and run windows as a separate OS and at native speed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.