New to mac. Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scfc1863, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Scfc1863 macrumors newbie

Hi.

Just converted from Windows to mac and so far im finding it quite different to say the least.

So today i downloaded a the RealPlayer application. The D/L saved to the desktop so i opened it up and installed it etc. When that was done i moved the icon in the applications folder. This resulted in the application not being able to play because it couldn't locate the application??

This is what i have done with all applications i have downloaded so far and they all work fine.

Any help.

Another quick question what is the keyboard shortcut for "Cut" i read it was apple key & X but this doesnt seem to work for me

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

If you opened the application before moving it into the applications folder the preference files may very well be confused. I'd try reinstalling the application and make sure it gets place in the permanent location before opening it.

Apple key & X should be cut. I have no clue why this won't work for you.

3. Scfc1863 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast response.

I thought this maybe the case.

Ill go try re downloading it.

4. Scfc1863 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whenever i download the application it automatically installs the app to the desktop.

Anyway to stop this.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

if using safari > preferences > general > save downloads to

6. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

When you go through the install process it should at some point say something like "change install location"