New to Mac, Questions please help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shadrap, Jul 10, 2010.

1. shadrap macrumors 6502

I picked up my first Macbook Pro and am a total newb. I need to run the following software for my business. Quickbooks and a Home Inspection Software that only works with windows.

Am I right in thinking that I will need to use Bootcamp to install Windows 7. Then what? do I just install the software I need once I have windows 7 loaded?

Also, can I use the Windows 7 and Quickbooks I purchase for my PC?

I appreciate your help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd just use a virtualization suite like Parallels or VMWare if you just need Quickbooks.

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

You can use the same copy of Win7 and Quickbooks in a Virtual machine app such as VMware Fusion or Parallels. If Win7 was already installed on a PC you may have to call Microsoft to complete activation. Should be pretty painless.

You do not need to use Bootcamp unless you want the best graphics and game performance. If you do use Bootcamp both of the virtualization products mentioned above have the ability to use the Bootcamp installed version of Windows to run within a virtual machine as well and will automatically detect it. With that method you get the best of both worlds.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Boot camp will install, requires a reboot after partitioning specific space for your HDD dedicated to Windows (v7 in your case). Then you'll still need to install a retail Windows 7 disc; OEM discs will install but may nee to be validated by microsoft to stop really annoying validation popups that will slow your productivity.

This is the long way of getting Windows to install but allows for dedicated Windows use; but reboots are required to use EITHER Mac OS X or Windows.

Better solution as suggested:

This way you install Parallels Desktop 5 or VMWare Fusion 3.1 and right after installation you're prompted to install your Windows OS which installs VERY fast compared to installing on a windows PC (less than 1hr for total setup).
    This allows you to use Mac OS X and Windows simultaneously; you can use Spaces in OS X to separate work in OS X vs work on Windows; using your Control+Arrow keys to jump to the virtual desktops which is easy on the eyes to identify work.

Cheers and welcome to OS X and the Mac community.

5. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing I am worried about using it parallel is the home inspection software. I would hope it would still function as well.

6. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

You can also run VirtualBox (free) for running Win7 virtually.

7. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

Yup forgot that one.

8. shadrap thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate all the replies and info. Loving this MBP.