new to mac, quick question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eightiesbaby, Feb 15, 2009.

1. eightiesbaby macrumors newbie

hi, i recently bought a mac and i'm loving it.
    i just have a quick question, i have software that can only be run on windows, but since my mac has the intel chip... if i install windows on my mac would i be able to run any windows program i want? sorry if that's a dumb question....

also i don't believe my mac has a dual layer drive, if i bought one would it be compatiable with my mac? thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. I use mine for gaming, so it can run prettymuch anything you want.

Before you go off and install Windows, you might want to see if you can find a Mac-compatible alternative. What program is it?

What kind of Mac do you have? Most (all?) new Macs have DL-DVD burners.

You'd have to find a Mac-compatible burner, but yes they do exist.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Bear in mind that you need to have Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) to use the Boot Camp method of installing Windows or have installed Parallels or VMWare Fusion software before loading XP or Vista.
    To check if your system has a DVD-DL drive or not, open up the System Profiler by clicking About This Mac under the Apple menu and tapping the More Info button within. If you select the optical drive section under hardware you will see what types of optical media your drive can read/write to.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. eightiesbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah talking about gaming...

my macbook is 2.4 ghz processor and has 2gb of ram
    do you think that is good enough for lets say.. playing cod 4 online?

i've looked on the website and they suggest the minimium should be 2.4ghz... so im not sure how smooth that would run

6. eightiesbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

i have mac os x 10.5.6 or something lol
    is that good?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It'd be just fine. Probably couldn't make a great account of itself on the latest greatest, but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.

Yes, that's Leopard, the latest version.

8. eightiesbaby thread starter macrumors newbie

if i decide to do this it is very much necessary that i will need anti-virus yes?
    that is the main reason why i am against running windows on my mac...
    i really do not want viruses

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, if your Mac is running Windows, it's susceptible to viruses and so forth while you're running Windows. Some (but not all) Windows viruses may damage your Mac partition if your Windows partition becomes infected.

10. utkillsall macrumors newbie

I believe the 2.4 ghz is when your running a single core processor...with the 2.4 ghz on the mac it is running two processors at that speed. and also if you have a 2.4 ghz processor then you do have a dual layer drive, the only mac that didnt have one is the old $1099 mac with the 2.0 ghz processor

Like a few have said in the previous posts, you must use boot camp to be compatibility issue free, running fusion, parallels, or any other software only allows you to use a virtual operating system, while boot camp allows you to run windows natively, but yes you do need anti-virus software for your windows side, or you can do what i do and not use the internet unless your on the mac side