New to Mac. Should I wait for Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Orton99, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Orton99 macrumors newbie

Finally about to join the mac world with a 13" rMBP. With this being my first mac there will be a period of transition. With Yosemite being so close to release, should I wait before buying? Not sure if it's worth getting used to Mavericks for a short period of time before upgrading. Alternatively, I could get a mac with Mavericks now, using that for a few months waiting for any potential issues with Yosemite to be sorted out.

Just not sure what to do... Appreciate any thoughts!

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yosemite has some interesting new features and *looks* different. Very little works differently between Mavericks and Yosemite. So no reason to wait for Yosemite, especially considering it will be a free upgrade.

3. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

4. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

No reason to wait. Upgrade will be free, and the basic use is much the same.

5. adam9c1 macrumors 68000

adam9c1

6. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Agreed. It's far better to enter the Apple world by timing the hardware. Either get the newest computer right after release or capitalize on the release to get a discount on the older, but still perfectly good model.

7. theluggage macrumors 68040

This. In 72 point super-heavy-bold type flashing red-and-yellow with an annoying tune playing in the background.

Get the hardware now (13" rMBP has recently had a speed bump and isn't likely to be replaced anytime soon) then wait for 10.10.1 or .2 when the WhateverTurnsOutToBeWrongWithYosemiteGate debacle is resolved and most of the 3rd party software producers have made any necessary updates to their applications.

8. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

iMacs will probably be refreshed and probably the minis as well. I got my parents a new iMac last year around this time so its about time that apple does a refresh.

I doubt the MacBooks will be upgraded tho best buy has a huge sale on the airs this week.... so you never know.

I mean the show is in what a a little under 2 weeks. Just wait and see what is coming out.