New to Mac...sort of

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Storm917, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Storm917 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm brand new here and thought I could get some good insight. :confused:

I've never owned anything Apple other than an iPod (yes very sad I know). I've used PC all my life but I've realized for what I'm doing a Mac is perfect. I'm looking to buy a MBP but I'm not sure if I should wait for the expected new 15" models supposedly coming this first quarter or wait for the Ivy Bridge ones claimed to be released in April/May? Or just maybe buy one now? What do you guys think? :)

Things I'd use it for:

- Graphic Design
    - Audio Engineering
    - Everyday things (Internet, Writing papers, etc.)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know what it will include and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Just buy one now... A new one isn't just around the corner, it's still a wee way off :)

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its no secret that computers manufactures in gernal try to get better from month to month year to year, you will always be waiting for the next new thing if you dont buy when you need it

6. Storm917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sadly it is an endless adventure to have the most up-to-date computer software/hardware nowadays I just didn't know if anyone knew if it was going to be a big update or no? I heard LED screens is next. :)

Also since it was my first Mac I wanted to go all out.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

since your new to apple i will let you know something

nobody and i mean nobody spills the beans on what apple is working on for the next anything ipod, iphone, ipad, mac untill apple says it, than nothing you hear is 100% confirmed

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The current generation of MacBook Pros already have LED screens :)

9. Storm917 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a feeling that was the case hah bummer

Well looks like I was lied too! Thanks for clearing that up :p. Out of all the research I've done I didn't even notice that part >_<

Looks like I'll more than likely be buying one far before the updates; as my current HP is basically dead and can't handle the memory heavy work I've been doing. Anyone else have any tips for the new guy? :)

10. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Depending on what you want, check out Apple's online refurbished section. The early 2011's are very nice, and you can same a nice chunk of cash getting a refurb. Comes with the same warranty as a brand new MBP. Also, if you're close to an Apple store, you might want to go in and check out the differences in the glossy/matte screens. Make sure you choose what's going to work best for you long-term.

Have fun shopping!

11. Storm917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks! I have taken a look at the refurbs but my only concern with them is they all only come with 4GB RAM. I noticed that you have an 8GB one and that's what I was hoping to get with a SSD; not sure on the size for it though.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

RAM is easily and cheaply upgradable on your own. 8GB goes for around 35 bucks these days, and the price for 16GB kits have come down dramatically in the last year, from $1600 all the way down to the current $120 or so.

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Don't get your RAM from Apple, just get the MBP you want with the 4GB in it. You can usually get an 8GB kit for around $40 or so and just put it in your MBP yourself. It's super easy and will cost you a fraction of what Apple charges. Check out Newegg, Amazon, etc. to find a good deal. Even the 16GB kits are coming down a lot in price, although there's very few people that need that much RAM.

As far as the SSD, you can also do that yourself. A lot of people here on the forums have taken out their optical drive, put in an Optibay and an SSD so they have both an SSD and a HDD. Some people just remove the original HDD and replace it with an SSD, then put the HDD in an external enclosure and use it for backup or storing stuff that won't fit on their SSD. It all depends on how much of the work you want to do yourself, and whether or not you feel confident doing it. There's several places on the web where you can find instructions. I haven't made the just to an SSD yet, but I will once the prices come down a bit more.

14. Storm917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow I guess with it being Apple I wasn't sure how easy it would be to upgrade the hardware myself. That's an awesome idea; I think I'm definitely going to do that, they want $200 to double the RAM o_O

I don't think I need 16GB quite yet haha that's nuts. I definitely hold off on the SSD as well; these are all great ideas. I almost wasted a bunch of money ha thank you. The only decision left now seems to be 15" vs. 17" and the style of screen. Anti-glare makes me :) but it just doesn't look as good as the black border from the glossy; plus I didn't really notice THAT big of a difference between the two screen types when I compared them at Best Buy, and they have pretty bright over-head lights.