New to Mac.. system/library/extensions directory reporting issues with .kext? help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Freddy1765, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Freddy1765 macrumors member

I bought a MacBook Pro a couple of days ago and everything is good, except I had to tinker with some files in order to install a program.. So, I needed to alter the permissions for the folder in order to edit the document (it was the hosts file). I thought to myself, why not just give myself read/write permission for every file on my entire HDD, so I went ahead and did just that.
    When I tried to install a program the next day, it said the installer app was broken, and an error message popped up for every single .kext in the system/library/extensions folder. Well, I did some googling and found out it had to do with those permissions I'd been messing with! Ran the disk tool thingy, which has an option to repair permissions, and that seemed to work.. somewhat.
    There are still 6 specific .kext files from the extensions folder that keep popping up error messages, reporting that the files are broken and that I need to reinstall. I didn't make a note of the specific files, suppose that would've been wise to include here.. But perhaps someone recognizes the problem regardless, and knows of a fix? Please? Completely new to Mac, and this is sort of disturbing to me.
    Also, I had installed Paragon NTFS to read/write to/from my external HDD, and that has seized to work - one of the error messages concerns a .kext which is related to this program.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In your case, I'd recommend a backup of data and fresh reinstallation of Mac OS X.

3. Freddy1765 thread starter macrumors member

Not the answer I was hoping for : /
    How do I back anything up when it won't recognize my external HDD though?
    Can I create another partition on the built-in HDD from within the OS or?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

LOL! You changed the default permissions for every file on the HD? Really?

Different files/folders have different permissions for security. DO NOT mess around with system files. That being being said you need to backup whatever you can and re-install (I doubt Disk Utility's Repair Permissions will fix what you did).

6. Freddy1765 thread starter macrumors member

Yea I know, in retrospect it was quite stupid.. Guess I learned my lesson!
    That being said, after running disk permissions repair tool I only got a handful of errors, most of which were related to a program which I've re-installed.

There's really just one error appearing now;
    /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePolicyControl.kext

It pops up every once in a while, though I'm not sure why - don't know what triggers it. I'd really hate to reinstall over this one file-error. It's not like the computer doesn't work, no idea what that .kext is even supposed to do exactly, because nothing seems terribly wrong/slow or anything like that..

What does this file do, and is it somewhat easy to repair?