Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I have been keeping my eye on these forums for several months now and have to say that I love it here! Lots of useful, information and a wonderful community.

So, I have been saving for the last few months and finally ordered my 15.4" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz this morning and couldn't be more excited! :D

I look forward to participating in the Mac community (my first Mac), the hard part now is just waiting for it to come, it has already shipped and should be here on June 30 (after I get back from vacation).

I work as an IT Technician at a law firm and one of the partners there finally asked me for a recommendation on a laptop (he's a lawyer by day and artist by night and already had a 30" Cinema Display). Long story short he got three, yes three laptop PCs in a row that were, either 1) slow 2) buggy or 3) faulty. He got three straight lemons. I said, you should get a MBP (he needed portability) so he drove me down to the Mac Distributor in town and he picked out the 17" 2.6 with the works (he's a lawyer). He had me set it up with parallels to run his law software. Let's just say that was when I fell in love. It was beautiful, easy to connect to the network, pulled it out of the box and it just worked. I have been using PCs from since I was a VERY young kid (though I remember using the old green screen Macs in Elementary School). I was amazed at how easy it was to use OSX. After a day of playing with his new MBP, I had to go back to my Vista x64 desktop (which isn't too shabby) and it just felt clunky, awkward, and definitely not as pretty.

Anyways, just thought I'd share and let you know that I may be on here asking for advice from time to time to learn shortcuts, hotkeys, and all the hidden goodies in OSX.

goinskiing

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Well Windows Vista/XP and OS X are now very much equal in terms of performance, reliability and usability in my opinion so I think switching for the sake of switching is really pretty redundant these days.

A few years ago it was definitely worth your while doing so, but now XP and Vista are so good that you really won't notice any great benefits by making the switch. If you have the time, by all means go for it but don't expect to be working at double pace. It took me about a year to actually feel comfortable using Mac OS.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Well Windows Vista/XP and OS X are now very much equal in terms of performance, reliability and usability in my opinion so I think switching for the sake of switching is really pretty redundant these days.

I would have to agree, as I will still have a partition for Vista to run my simulation softwares in my Electrical Engineering program. I have more reasons to switch other than an OS change. ;)

I had to convince our firm that it was neccessary for our office to start moving in the Vista direction. They had me pilot it (despite their doubts) and it worked fantastically, now most of the lawyers are using it and liking it. I've had a few issues, most just getting used to the differences, the only real issue I've had is installing Vista Ultimate x64 (my fav. flavor) with 4 GB causes BSODs, even after SP1, hotifx, etc.

I am very enthused and excited to learn the in-and-outs of Macs. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.