New to Mac, want to run Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maxsteel, Jun 22, 2013.

1. maxsteel macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and I want to run Parallels for Windows 8. Is it better to install Windows on Bootcamp partition first and then link it to parallels or to set up Windows exclusively via parallels without installing it via bootcamp?

Also, since I have the new MBA 11", i5, 4GB of ram and 256 SSD, What is the recommended setting for CPU and RAM in parallels?

My usage will be mainly running light and metro apps in windows including office. no gaming or video editing.

Thank you,

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Just install Parallels and then install Windows in it. If you're not going to run Bootcamp then don't install Bootcamp - that would require partitioning your hard drive, Parallels doesn't require a partition.

As for settings, I have mine set to use all 4 cores of my 2012 Mac Mini along with half of my RAM (I have 16 GB of RAM). I wouldn't run Windows 7 or 8 on less than 2GB of RAM so I'd set it at 2GB. You can always change the settings if it's too sluggish or you find OS X being slow.

Beware that some people have had problems with driver issues with Windows 8 and Bootcamp, but if you're just using Parallels there shouldn't be any issues, I believe. I'm using Windows 7 so can't help you with more specific Windows 8 issues you may have.

3. maxsteel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you,