New to Mac- Way to Get my DVD's onto my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Josheua, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Josheua macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

Question. I Just purchased a macbook pro and have been looking for a way to get DVD's onto my Mac. I've heard of Mac the Ripper and such, but are their problems getting the newest DVD's onto your Mac w/ this program? Any other programs you all suggest. I would appreciate any suggestions (I searched this but couldn't find a definitive answer).

-Josh :apple:

2. wightstraker macrumors regular

I use Mac the Ripper and it works fine for most DVDs, keep in mind that they will be imported at full quality, so make sure you have plenty of HD space.

If the disc isn't encrypted Handbrake is a better choice; you can customize the import bitrate and convert it directly to mp4.

(Also, don't listen to the MPAA, ripping DVDs for personal use is fair use, so long as you paid for the disc.)

3. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Who needs the legislature or the judiciary when we have wightstraker to codify the law for us! Hurrah!

But to the original poster: In all seriousness, use Handbrake (it works with encrypted and unencrypted discs). One of the appropriate presets should work just fine for you.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Actually Mac the Ripper is a much better ripper than Handbrake. I'd use Mac the Ripper to rip and Handbrake to encode.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if you only want to rip DVD but not compress it. mac the ripper is the only free solution, others, such as DVD2one, are not free.

6. wightstraker macrumors regular

Really? Maybe I just haven't upgraded in a while. What version of Handbrake are you running, desenso?

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

While it is true that Handbrake can rip encrypted DVDs, Mac the Ripper is better and is able to rip more DVDs.

8. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Why can Handbrake for Mac rip "encrypted" DVD's but the version for Windows cannot? I'm only interested in ripping my own stuff into iPod format, so I'm not asking for piracy reasons (despite the MPAA's new definition of piracy).

I'm running Mac, btw. It's a friend of mine, with his new iPod video, who has a hard time understanding why the Windows counterpart of Handbrake will not let him do the same.

Just curious.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Because they haven't implemented that feature on the Windows side? Honestly I have no idea. You'd get a more accurate response by asking the developers, although the Handbrake forum can be interesting at times :).

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Screw MTR and their shady pay-for-beta scam.

11. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I thought that I'd bump this thread rather than starting a new one.....

So, I've got a DVD and I only want a certain section of it. If I copy the whole DVD to my computer, can I use Handbrake to then select the part of the DVD that I want a convert that to AVI or MPG or something like that?

Any help would be appreciated!

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

You can use MacTheRipper to extract just that section of the DVD that you want. Then, you can use Handbrake to re-encode that to MKV, MP4, AVI, or something else.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Handbrake lets you select individual titles and chapters as defined on the DVD without using an external ripper.

B