New to Mac... What should I get?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Oyobiia, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Oyobiia macrumors member

I was planning on getting the Mac Mini because I have been a PC users all my short life. The other day I decided I want a Mac. I was planning on the MacBook 13" (White) But I decided to get the Mac Mini.

What would you recomend for a new user. I do not want to spend thousands on something I may not like...

Basically... What should I get for my first Mac?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What is your question? First you said you wanted a mac mini, then a macbook, then you said you decided to get the mac mini? So are you asking which you should buy? Or something along the lines on what programs we recommend? I am so :confused:

3. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

Basically... What should I get for my first Mac?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Mac Mini is running on a tad bit of ancient tech, still the Intel GMA950 mobile chipset.

Look at the refurb MacBooks and iMacs.

Edit: watch out for the really cheap iMacs, if it says Combo drive, like the Mini it'll be the education version still running the GMA950 chipset ... which people are replacing because it doesn't really cut it for some uses anymore.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I second this advice

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

6. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

I see... Well I just spoke to my dad :D

He said something about a MacBook going through my LCD screen?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yep, just hook up a normal keyboard, mouse, and LCD display to turn it into a desktop.

8. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

If you use a macbook with an external screen then you'll need a mini dvi-vga or mini dvi - dvi adaptor, that is if you're getting a plastic macbook.

As software goes... get a program called flip4mac, it lets you watch wmvs in quicktime.

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yes, you can connect a MacBook to an external monitor. Just need to buy a ~$20 adapter.

10. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

*Sigh*

I might just cheat and buy a iMac desktop then I won't hve to play about with downloads and buying adapters.

11. ptheo27 macrumors member

ptheo27

12. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

Dad says. He will either get a MacBook (White) or the iMac desktop.

13. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Well... if you need portability go for the macbook, if not the iMac is a better buy as the specs are a bit better.

14. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Guys :D

Ill talk to him tomorrow about the new MacBook and the Desktop...

See what he says.

15. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

16. Cap41 macrumors 6502

DITTO, after at least 10 PC's inmy life...I drank the kool aid...man am i digging the after life.

17. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member

Yum. I like kool aid too :)

18. obdave macrumors member

I bought a Mac Mini about 6 months ago and it's generally plenty snappy. One thing you should do, though, is add memory. The guts of the Mini are a tight squeeze, so I went to a local Apple authorized service center and had them do it. The machine now has 3 GB and the total cost was about $100. The extra memory did make a big difference.

19. Cap41 macrumors 6502

I hope no one takes offense to this but the MAc mini is like getting a hand job. It will leave you wanting more....go with an actual IMAC..

20. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I would have waited to purchase a Mac mini. Macworld is around the corner (Jan 2009) and Apple may release upgrades to the line at that time.

21. obdave macrumors member

Ha, that's pretty funny. Truth be told, I bought a Mac Mini because like the OP I wasn't sure I wanted to make the switch. It would suck to spend thousands on a machine and end up not liking it. The Mac Mini is pretty attractively priced if you just want to get your feet wet.

It didn't take me that long to make the switch, and now everything (except for my embedded software development tools which only run on Windows) is on my Mac. Having made the switch, I wish I'd done so a long time ago. I do find the Mini is fast enough for most things. The one thing I have doubts about is running Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I certainly don't have the disk space for it, and probably not the CPU firepower either.

I figure maybe in another year I'll probably step up and spring for a Mac Pro and let the Mini be a backup machine.

22. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I do embedded development. I haven't switch this part over to my Mac yet, but I will.
    I use Parallels. Works fines. I think you should have enough "firepower". Perhaps not enough memory. You could add a external firewire drive.

23. Oyobiia thread starter macrumors member