New to Mac what should I Know?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Medic278, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Hello all I am new to Mac in November of 2011 I decided I needed to replace my desktop and after being happy with my iPhone and iPad I bought the 27' iMac and then two days ago I decided I wanted a MacBook and purchased the upgraded 13' Macbook Pro because I wanted something small and easy to carry. So my question is what can I expect and can I link the two computers to share documents? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Howdy!

Sharing files between the two is relatively simple, and there's a number ways to do it:

1) On the same network, setup shares on both machines (usually your Public folder), then you can move files back-and-forth, or even to a 3rd machine (generally folks designate sort of a "master" for version control).

2) Setup a peer-to-peer network directly between machines, this is generally more of a temporary type approach when you're outside your network

3) Use a sharing service like DropBox, which has the advantage of allowing access to files outside your network from a number of different devices (including iOS).

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Medic278 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thnaks for the help I noticed both computers have Airdrop and wonder if i can use that? Also can I add widgets are if so what are the must haves?

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Get a copy of David Pogue's "Missing Manual" series for Lion. If it isn't available yet it will be shortly...

I recommend it to new Mac owners as well as Old Hands. I've been using Macs for 15+ years and I always keep a copy around.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, Airdrop is the Apple version of #2 on my list. It's particularly neat if you're in a situation where you want to exchange files with someone, but aren't on a common network.

If you're on the same network, it's just about as simple as Prefs >> Internet/Network >> Sharing, enable file sharing! You'll want to read a few more of the fine details (and that link above is excellent too).

I don't use many widgets, I'll hop over for the calc, or to check out iStat (a machine status/heat/fans monitoring widget, very nice).

On the same network, you can also share/use other services like iTunes Home Sharing (accessing the same iTunes library across devices), peer based iChat (vs. routing through an external chat relay service), etc.

You can also share files across a Windows network, which is great way to setup a cheap server if you want a centralized file sharing machine.

7. Medic278 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Medic278

So I just took a trip to my local apple store, looking for a nice case for my MacBook and instead ended up buying Apple TV. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this product like how easy setup is and all that. Currently I use a Nintendo Wii to watch netflix and thought Apple TV would be a vast improvement over the wii since I can access my extensive iTunes library. Also where can I get iStat? Again thank you everyone for your help its been really great having all of you so willing to help me out with this thank you ver much!

8. simsaladimbamba

Here is the Setup Guide, which should have been included with the Apple TV.
    iStat can be found here.

9. Medic278 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thanks again for the support. Setting up apple TV was super easy however I had an unusual problem the remote for the Apple TV was also controlling my MacBook and making it go crazy, however a quick call to Apple support quickly clarified the issue. Apple support is easily the best support I have ever dealt with and I am always impressed by how they help you and stand by their products. Two thumbs way up!