New to Mac, what should I know?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Aug 14, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I'm new to mac and my first one (an iMac) should be coming pretty soon. I was wondering what I should know about macs and the OS before I get it. Anything would be helpful. Also I was reading in another thread about trial software already on the machine? Is this going to be on my new iMac?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, the trial software will be there for a few things like MS Office 2004 and a few other things, but it will come loaded with a lot of productive software already that is included in the price of your Mac.

I would suggest browsing the forum and reading the threads that interest you to gain the knowledge you are seeking and then ask a specific question. You will find everyone ready to answer and help.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Of note, Apple runs commercials saying that PCs come loaded up with trialware, etc. At first glance this may seem like hypocrisy on Apples part. However, the difference is that is *typically* isn't in your face like it is on a PC.

4. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

For starters, once you buy your iMac, if 1GB of RAM isn't enough, a common topic mentioned here is upgrading the RAM. You can probably find a guide in Apple.com at the support section. For buying RAM, i would reccomend buying from a factory original but still fairly priced vendor like OWC. Their site is located at www.macsales.com, and if you change your mind and decide to get a notebook instead, they sell large HDs too.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

There are so many things to consider, and so many little nuances that you will only see with first hand experience over a good amount of time. At some point, like most of us switchers, you'll have that "now i get it" moment; and you won't consider switching back.

If I were to pick out one tip, albeit a small one; get used to new key-commands. I am big into using the keyboard over the mouse but had to learn a new language (so-to-speak) when moving to OS X. First is finger placement for things like (windows) Cmd-X, C, and V for cut, copy and paste. While they're the same (mac) Command/Apple-X, C, and V, now I use the command key with my thumb, rather than the typical windows keyboard placement with my pinky-finger.

Also, get used to using Command-O (rather than Enter) to open, Cmd-I rather than Alt-Enter (get info/properties) and CMD-[ and CMD-] for forward and back as opposed to the Cmd-Arrows.

There's also a nice selection of open source software selections for OS X, most of which you'll find in the windows world too. Theres also some VERY good shareware apps in the $10 to $30 range. AppZapper, Disco, Transmit, and TextMate are some that I've plonked down cash for.

Finally, the advice I give to anyone wanting to make the switch - Give yourself a task to do. Make a photo gallery, write out something you've been meaning to write. Import some video or even lay down some tracks in Garage Band. It's just as important to know you have the ability to do some of the things you bought a mac for, just as much as it is important knowing you could at some point; And completing a project from start to finish is simply the proof that you can, and did, and "gee, wasn't that fun and easy?"

Good Luck and welcome to a brighter world! -AB

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

1. Your apps aren't meant to be fullscreen when you click the green button. It'll make the window as big as it needs to be.

2. Let iPhoto manage your images, don't stuff around in the finder (not so much of a problem now with iPhoto '08) but definitely leave the iPhoto and iTunes libraries well alone.

7. macwoo macrumors newbie

green buton

I'm a new user to macland, but I think the green button could use some work. Especially for PDF Preview and iTunes. Are their any applications out there that improve the behavior of Preview or the green button for other apps?