Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The8thDeadlySin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Hey, I am new to the Apple world and I have a few questions.. Yall are probably going to think I am a tard but its okay.. The only 2 products I have owned from Apple are the second generation iPhone and an early iPod..

Now, I am looking to further my Apple experience buy purchasing an iPad.. I use my HP Laptop for my iTunes and so far, it seems to be able to handle everything pretty well. Since I was buying an iPad, I was going to start purchasing various movies and possibly TV shows.. I understand that these movies often up to 2 or 3 Gigs in size..

A couple of questions.. Do you suggest that I buy some sort of external hard drive to store these movies on?? Is that recommended?? If so, which type should I buy?? Also, does it affect how I view these movies?? Can I just hook up the hard drive to my Laptop, open iTunes, and simply move the movies from the hard drive to my iPad?? How does that work??

Also, is there a special way to get these movies to my TV?? I know there used to be a thing called "Apple TV" but that is no longer sold and honestly, I didnt want to get one.. Right now, I just use the chord from my Laptop to my TV.. Is there a better way to do it or is that how I am going to have to do it?? For example, if I go to a friends house, can I simply load the movie to my iPad and play it from there or do I need my Laptop at their house??

Thanks so much!!!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
External hard drive is okay but you could always upgrade the internal drive to bigger one as external is always a hassle. When the movie has been downloaded, it will be added to your Movies folder and when you hook your iPad to your computer, you can simply sync the movie to the iPad, just like syncing music.

Using the TV as external monitor is the easiest and cheapest way to do it, I don't see why would you change it if it works. You need this for the iPad in order to be able to connect it to a TV

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think you might run into the stupid DRM trying to output iTunes movies from the iPad to the TV.

samlovesmacs

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
External hard drive is still useful as opposed to a bigger internal, who knows you might want to share with a friend and you can always use it as a backup for your other important files.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
If you dont mind me asking, what does that mean??

Well, I only tried one 'digital copy' file (form a Blu-ray/DVD set) over the VGA adapter, but I'm sure I've heard elsewhere that iTunes movies might not play out of the iPad over a VGA adapter, and I'd imagine the same is true of any other analogue connections (e.g. composite / component). You might end up with a message telling you the 'display is not authorized to play protected content' or something.

Someone else may be able to confirm what I'm talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.