New to Mac what to know

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Budiosx, May 25, 2013.

1. Budiosx macrumors regular

Budiosx

I'm new to mac after 10 years of using pc i bought macbook pro high end model not retina yesterday because of big sale on it.
    I need to know the essential programs that take place windows programs on my mac .
    I'm confused as i'm new to mac and don't know to start from where.

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

What kind of applications are you looking for? Microsoft office is a must have, but you can also get the apple alternatives with pages etc.

3. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

The replacement for those apps:

-Internet download managers that downloads files and also youtube videos.

-alternative movie player to quicktime that play all kind of video formats.

-best internet security for mac like kaspersky in windows.

4. negativzero macrumors 6502

My replies in red

5. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Yes- go to the Mac App Store app on your computer to see all of them.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the links for app suggestions in the link I posted.

8. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

9. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Get free memory from the app store so you can monitor your RAM usage.
    SMC Fan control so you can monitor your CPU
    CCleaner so you can clean up your Mac every once in a while.
    Mactubes lets you download youtube videos.

Congrats! And enjoy your new Macintosh :apple:

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

I remember my switch - beginning was new as I had to get used to it. Once you're up and running and understand the system well - you will not regret getting it.

Helpful places:
    1. Mac basics forum on macrumors
    2. App Store for apps
    3. Youtube for new to mac videos

11. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

libreoffice
    vlc
    adium
    omnigraffle
    vienna
    firefox
    cord

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

13. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I highly recommend David Pogue's book "Switching to the Mac". I used it when I started with OS X and it was a great help.

14. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

15. comics addict macrumors 6502a

THIS! When I got my first Mac two years ago I downloaded CleanMyMac app and ended regretting it. Since I just went ahead and checkmark all the options listed without thought in the world only later having learned that I would need to reinstall OS X to get the machine back operational. Follow this advice and save yourself hours of headache for a newbie. Nowadays I only run once in a while or when I am troubleshooting potential issues on my MacBook Pro by running the built-in Disk Utility to verify disk permissions as well the filesystem. Also unless you know what you would be doing I would advice against using Onyx also which is another popular maintenance app around this forum.

16. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

One can only assume you got a mac to fill some kind of "need". What particular needs do you have? :confused:

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This...Always confused on how to help if I don't know what the person is using their machine for (though generally email, internet...and more internet). I mean people need Photoshop....if they're photoshopping.

18. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

ok you are right but this is a new world to me and i need to explore it so what i want is some suggestion after guys reply to my first question

19. view2darrel macrumors member

hi, you can learn all things by yourself. when i switch to mac. i didnt read any tutorials. ive been a window user all my life. first go to setting and set up your preference. its your an ios user, youll find icloud really easy.

my must have apps and recommend for basic usage would be:

DayOne - diary app very useful

Evernote - my all in one note taking app, storage for my receipts etc.

google chrome - alternative to safari

1password -must have app, though its a bit pricey around 50US dollars. youll find this very useful trust me.

dropbox -online storage

the unarchiever - extact zip/rar files etc.

Parallel Desktop - you can virtually run windows and use windows app if not available on mac. can run side by side (two running os at the same time)

Transmission - torrent downloader

Boom - boost your volume , can be really useful on video calling and watching movies.

Libre office / MS Office / iWork - document Management. any of this will do.

you can also browse for mac apps on mac appstore. read first the comments before downloading or purchasing the apps.

that would be my musthave for basic computing. i have all this on my mac. hope it helps.

20. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx