New to Mac World and Need advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lucorphine, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Lucorphine macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have been using PC for many years. And never owned a Mac system. I am thinking about buying a Macbook. I already know about some issues (heat etc) but what I really wanna ask is what software problems are waiting for me ? I am not playing games (I have a PS3 I dont need to play on a laptop) but I am an MIS student and I will take C++ programming lessons. I know Mac OS Have C++ compilers but when I write a program on MAc compiler and send it to my teacher can he open it with his windows compiler (yeah I am new to programming too I do not know if OS difference matters or not).

Another question is I wanna buy
    Black
    2.4Ghz C2D
    2gb RAM
    13" screen

Will this high system configration with such a small case makes a heating problem ????

Thx for answers :D

2. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Every Laptop has some sort of heat problem, but I wouldn't worry about it. You could always use bootcamp and install windows on a different partition, that way you can boot and use windows while in school. Or you could go the vmware route, and run a virtual machine in unity mode (Which I love btw because I develop with Visual Studio 2008).

You have a lot of options. Just because your getting the high end machine doesn't mean its going to heat and melt itself. Apple has tested the hardware under extreme conditions before putting it out.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

They all get hot.

You'll do fine with that system too. Max your ram if you're going to run Windows and OS X.

4. Lucorphine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for quick answers guyz. I know every laptop has heat problems but I heard that Macbooks get so hot that you cant use it on your "lap" so I wondered if end performance system heats more than ı could bare but I think I am satisfied with answers. Regarding programming, I dont wanna install windows... I am kind of tired of windows, actually I hate it.. it's like old wife :D

I wanna marry with mac os which looks much cool :D The point I was asking is I used compilers under Linux (Ubuntu) and simple programs I programmed ran under windows too... Will it be same with mac os ??? Or is there any converters etc??? I really dont wanna use windows.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

While Boot Camp (which is free and comes with the Mac) enables you to run Windows at full speed, if you're needing to run Linux, you'll need to use VMware Fusion, which allows you to run multiple operating systems on your Mac. About $70, I believe.