New to Mac world :is necessary Magic Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Maccotto, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Maccotto macrumors regular

Hi all
    I will buy soon a mac mini because i wanna try the apple world and OS .
    Now i haven't a lot of money and i decided to buy mac mini with i7 2.3 and use normal keyboard,mouse and monitor.

The keyboard will be normal bu7t i will try my logitech keyboard for Ipad while mouse i doubt about magic mouse. In fact i wanna know : Is necessary the magic mouse ?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The MM is not required, but you are better off with it, at least on a try out basis. It's included in the price, so you won't save any money if you remove it. It does a lot more than a Windows mouse, scroll, swipe etc. I'd give it a try.

3. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

I checked Apple store ,but mac mini haven't MM

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True, my mistake...The mini does not include the MM, but it's worth a try...Maybe get hands on in your local Apple retailer?

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

From personal experience, the apple mouse sucks and is a pain to use. You are better off either getting a trackpad, or any cheap Logitech mouse will suffice in a pinch.

So in your case, stick with your current keyboard and mouse.

6. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

So you suggest to use my mouse or buy the trakpad?

I gone few minutes ago into my near shop with apple product .
    Into i found only apple's notebook and packed MM ,Wireless keyboard and trackpad .
    MM IS little small (my hands usually use a comfortable mouse like Mifrosoft 3000 or logitech ).

7. nikolajlr macrumors newbie

My Magic Mouse is sitting in a drawer. Way too small for my hands and was a pain to use.

However I'm very happy with the Magic Trackpad!

My 2 øre.

8. Maccotto thread starter macrumors regular

What is the really difference between MM and trackpad?

9. simsaladimbamba

One is a mouse and one is a trackpad, thus you use both differently. A mouse is held in your hand and moved around by it and controlled by your fingers.
    A trackpad is stationary and you only use your fingers to control it.
    For both units (Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad), you can use BetterTouchTool to add custom gestures.

I have had both, but the MM was too small for my hands and the MT got too uncomfortable for my needs. I am still happy with a wired moused from Logitech and Microsoft.

10. yinz macrumors 6502a

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

The trackpad lets you make use of gestures built into osx. It's great for surfing the web but for stuff like gaming or even preparing a simple spreadsheet, I still go back to a normal mouse. It's not cheap either, but I still recommend one if you really want the full Mac experience.

The Magic Mouse is personally too heavy for me. Also, it's shape doesn't fit my hand well at all. It just feels weird to use.

12. jterp7 macrumors 6502a

I have the trackpad and will say its great for casual use. But for spreadsheets or anything with detail you'll need an actual mouse. For gaming I have logitechs, wired is best, but they're midrange and up wireless mouses should be lag free.

13. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It mainly a matter of personal preference. I prefer a mouse over trackpads. The trackpad supports more gestures but I rarely need them. I've used a regular USB mouse on a Mac Mini with no problem. Windows USB keyboard also works as do most displays.

If your budget is limited and you just want to try the Mac world, I suggest finding a good used unit. Saves you a lot of money and you can find what you like first. Out of 4 Macs in our house, only one was bought new.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Is necessary the magic mouse ?"

Simple answer: NO.

Use any USB mouse or keyboard that you like.

Indeed, there are far superior mice and keyboards to use than Apple products.

For 3rd party mice, you can use "USB Overdrive" or "Steermouse" to control them.