new to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dq22, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dq22 macrumors newbie

hi guys so i just brought a mac book pro and have no idea wat to really do on here or whats cool to do with mac can anyone give me some info on wat i could do. this could be such a stupied question to most of u guys sorry:(

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't know what to use your computer for, why did you buy it?

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Biggest mistake most people make: "Oh it's shiny! OK I'll buy it! Maw... it doesn't run my favorite software and I can't figure out why this thing is bouncing on the screen"

Research, people, research!

Also, go online and count how many viruses you don't get! XD

I remember when I used Windows. At least three-times a year the wallpaper would be turned blue and I'd have to reinstall just to get rid of whatever was on there.

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

First of all dq22, welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors. Please ignore any of the above posts that are critical or negative as we are glad you are here and hope that MR can be a source of support for you.

As far as what to do on your new machine, well, with the software already installed (OSX + iLife) you can do web surfing (Safari), email (Mail), video/audio conferencing, (iChat), music (iTunes & GarageBand), photo management and basic editing (iPhoto), video editing etc. (iMovie & iDVD) basic website creation (iWeb), contacts (Address Book), calender management (iCal), and system back up (Time Machine).

There are tons of other built-ins that are a part of OSX and of course there are numerous free and availble for purchase applications that you can buy. I'd suggest looking at what you want to do with your computer (money management, graphics, video/photo, music, etc.) and then search these forums for people's suggestions regarding programs of that type/genre. MRoogle is a great search tool that will help you find posts here on MacRumors.

I hope that helps.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The following is an exact copy of a post I made in a thread titled "New to Mac", created today, August 31st, 2010, at 16:54 CET.

Congratulations and have fun.

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

About viruses and other threatening malware
    There are currently, as of today, NO (ZERO) Mac OS X viruses in public circulation. That may change in the future, but for the last ten years Mac OS X has been void of viruses.​

What is (computer) malware: Wiki, ​

What is crime-ware: report by DHS

About file quarantine in Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6 - files you download via Safari, iChat, or Mail are checked for safety when you open them​

Software for Mac OS X

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]