Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adjohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
First Mac, first post.

Please share any and all must knows, haves, and advice you can offer.

I do have a few questions:

How do I install Windows 7? Watched a tutorial on Apple's web site and know I'm supposed to use Bootcamp, but is that with the assumption that I have a copy of W7?

Would like a HDMI adapter for HD TV, any recs?

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
First Mac, first post.

Please share any and all must knows, haves, and advice you can offer.

I do have a few questions:

How do I install Windows 7? Watched a tutorial on Apple's web site and know I'm supposed to use Bootcamp, but is that with the assumption that I have a copy of W7?

Would like a HDMI adapter for HD TV, any recs?

yes you need a copy of win7 to install via bootcamp

for hdmi adapter i get my cables at monoprice great prices and so far very happy with the quality

adjohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
And I should have said thanks in advance to all who post.

Fuzzy - thanks for the input, I will check out monoprice.

I think I will do some searching on the forums, I am sure many of my questions can be answered...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

yep use Boot Camp to partition the hard drive then restart into the Windows install DVD (hold option in startup) and install on the partition you created. then insert your Mac's DVD and install the windows drivers (there might be updates to install after).

also why the hurry to install Windows right away? you have to have some Windows programs? if not just dive into OS X straight away, best way to learn it.

adjohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

yep use Boot Camp to partition the hard drive then restart into the Windows install DVD (hold option in startup) and install on the partition you created. then insert your Mac's DVD and install the windows drivers (there might be updates to install after).

also why the hurry to install Windows right away? you have to have some Windows programs? if not just dive into OS X straight away, best way to learn it.

Thanks Richard, I am in no hurry, I guess it's more a security blanket and the idea of having it. i'll spend some more time on Mac OS before, and also I do not have a copy of W7, so.....

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
One other option to consider is purchasing either Parallels Desktop for Mac or VMWare Fusion and just run Windows 7 in a virtual machine. You will be sharing system resources (CPU cycles, RAM, etc...) between the two systems, but the bright side is that you will not have to leave Mac OS to do things in Windows.

With Boot Camp, you boot into either Windows or Mac OS - with a VM program, you can have the best of both worlds. I prefer VMWare Fusion, but take a look at both programs to see if you think you'd like one over the other.

Welcome to the Mac community! I myself joined in August 2006 and have yet to look back! The posters here are a really good bunch and I think you'll really like your stay here. I'm hoping to get one of the new 17" MacBook Pros, but my wife has not yet given me the green light on that purchase.

adjohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
One other option to consider is purchasing either Parallels Desktop for Mac or VMWare Fusion and just run Windows 7 in a virtual machine. You will be sharing system resources (CPU cycles, RAM, etc...) between the two systems, but the bright side is that you will not have to leave Mac OS to do things in Windows.

With Boot Camp, you boot into either Windows or Mac OS - with a VM program, you can have the best of both worlds. I prefer VMWare Fusion, but take a look at both programs to see if you think you'd like one over the other.

Welcome to the Mac community! I myself joined in August 2006 and have yet to look back! The posters here are a really good bunch and I think you'll really like your stay here. I'm hoping to get one of the new 17" MacBook Pros, but my wife has not yet given me the green light on that purchase.

I will definitely check out VMWare Fusion, thanks HIaddict.

Really enjoying the Mac OS so far and will most likely stay. This is my first personal computer purchase in some time and am extremely pumped. Hope you get approval, give and get; after my MBP purchase, the wife says it is time to give, again.

adjohnston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Bump for Saturday crew. Tips, tricks, and advice appreciated. Happy Saturday folks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.