New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LCook17, May 16, 2011.

1. LCook17 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I just received my new iMac and have been a lifelong windows user (actually I remember having an apple back in 2nd grade, but thats it). I went apple because I find myself crunching spreadsheets and databases all day at work on my Lenovo and when I come home, I want to have fun! With that being said, it is essentially a multimedia machine and I need some help.

I haved downloaded handbrake at the suggestions of the many other threads I looked at. I was wondering about "Mac the Ripper" though, as it seems like it is a very good program for pulling the data off my existing DVD collection. What I was wondering about is where I could find this software. I'm leary of "googling it" for fear of pulling some virus software down. Any help providing a direct link would be greatly appreciated. Also, it appears as though it is a pay app, from the googling I did, is that correct?

Thanks a ton everybody!

2. simsaladimbamba

Links are in the guide below:

To the virus issue:
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

And to learn more about Mac OS X:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14414/mactheripper

You can't harm your Mac by searching with Google.

4. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

What file format are you looking to dump your DVD's into and what are you going to use to play them once you rip them?

5. LCook17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to pull them to whatever you suggest via "Mac the Ripper" then transcode them to AppleTV with Handbrake. I have an AppleTV, an Ipad, and now this new Imac. Been a busy year of accumulating pieces, not for the implementation, lol!

6. simsaladimbamba

The in addition to the DVD ripping and transcoding guide, this might help too;

7. LCook17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I came across a website claiming they had "Mac the Ripper 4.0" for a donation/fee. Is that legit?

8. LCook17 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. simsaladimbamba

Post the link, so we can either verify or just leave it at guessing.

10. LCook17 thread starter macrumors newbie

11. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

You've been on Winblows far too long. lol. :D

12. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Check out MacUpdate if you are looking for a good source for Mac software.

Also check out the links in my sig for more Mac tips.

13. DougY macrumors 6502

Congrats

Congrats on buying your first iMac. Like you, I purchased my first Mac almost two years ago, and have NEVER regretted it. It has functioned perfectly, not a single glitch in all that time! Also have an iPad, and an iPhone. Apple products are great.