New to Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aidy06, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Aidy06 macrumors regular

Hi, I've been a windows user for the past 15 or so years and never used a Mac. My girlfriend has just ordered me one though as our laptop has just packed in, this is the one she has bought http://is.gd/OjzRjP
    Is this the new version and also is it a good choice for our first Mac? Thanks in advance for any help

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, that is the current gen iMac. It's hard to say is it the best choice for you without knowing your usage but for most users, that iMac is more than fine. Unless you are a gamer or do intensive content creation (video editing, 3D rendering etc), there is no need to get a faster one.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, that's the current base model iMac.

It's a great first Mac and you get the bonus of a 2 year warranty buying it from John Lewis.

4. Aidy06 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow talk about quick replies, thanks guys. I don't work with computers or anything it's just for us to use daily for browsing etc as a home computer, I may play Football Manager but nothing else so that should be ok? @ollyw thanks for that I didn't know John Lewis offered a 2 year warranty

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should be more than fine for you then. Nothing you listed requires much power, in fact any Intel iMac would do the job (of course getting the newest one is most likely the best deal).

6. Aidy06 thread starter macrumors regular

That's great, sick of windows and the whole viruses and constant crashing problems. Monday can't come soon enough :D

7. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

you're going to love working with programs that doesn't crash.. i have the exact same problems with my PC.. i just LOVE to get back on my mac and everything works without problems.

8. Aidy06 thread starter macrumors regular

According to the spec description it'll be coming with snow leopard, is it worth upgrading to Lion?

9. Texran macrumors regular

You'll be able to get free upgrade from apple, it'll be a download so read up on how to receive it for free.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Full details can be found here.