New to Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dfish, Sep 5, 2011.

1. dfish macrumors newbie

OK, I have decided to come over from the dark side and want to get an IMac however I am uncertain where to jump in. I will start with basic IMovie type activity, but want to eventually move to higher capability software. I see that I can get a year old IMac 27 (2.93, i7,16 ram, 2 g video etc) for a very good price and would appreciate comment on that approach versus getting a new unit with perhaps lesser capabilities. New to forums also.
    Thanks

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The 2.93 machine is a very capable machine and would be very nice machine for many years. By good price you don't mention if you are buying new, Apple Refurbished or used. If you are looking at used I'd be extremely cautious, if it has AppleCare on it great, this extends the warranty to 3 years and protects your investment. If it does not be cautious, very cautious! If it new or Apple Refurbished great, you can still get AppleCare.

For movie editing get started with iMovie and you can always upgrade to Final Cut Pro X

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/all-features/

or Final Cut Pro which is only available by calling Apple per "We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999 (and $899 for educational customers). The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store. "