New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uncfan78, Dec 1, 2011.

1. uncfan78 macrumors newbie

I recently switched over form a PC to a Mac. I purchased an iMac about a month ago and am still figuring out a lot of stuff. One thing I am really trying to do is create/edit documents and be able to transfer them back and forth from my mac to my iPad. Any suggestions on programs that will do that? I have Office 11 on my Mac but cant get it on my iPad, I bought docs to go for my iPad but when I get the documents on my iPad the formatting is all screwy. Also the only way I can get them from one device to another is just saving the document and emailing it back and fourth. I am pretty sure there has to be a better way to do this then how I am doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Caliber26, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I think you would benefit from something like Dropbox. You can download the folder on your iMac and 'drop' any type of file into it. Once it's in your Dropbox folder, it resides in "the cloud" and you will be able to access that file on any other Mac (or even PC) that you have Dropbox installed on. It syncs everything for you so that when you open it on another computer it is exactly how you last saved it.

There's an iOS app that will allow you to access your files on your iPad (iPhone or iPod Touch, too), so this should save you from having to email docs back and forth between devices. There are also several other apps in the AppStore designed specifically to work with Dropbox and give you editing options. I don't use any of those, so unfortunately I have none that I can recommend, but I have seen them on there.

Dropbox gives you 2GB of cloud storage for free (other upgrade options are available for a fee). If you click on the link I posted for you, however, you will get an extra 250MB of storage and so will I, since they give out referral bonus space anytime you invite someone to Dropbox and they sign up, using your invite.

Hope this helps!

-Andy

3. uncfan78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect thank you I will try that out.. I already have a drop box account just never used it before