New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gavin_d, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Gavin_d macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I am new on the forum and new to Mac.

I finally decided to get a mac last week and bought a 13 inch mac book pro. I am very very happy with it. So nice to use.

I am getting used to it but have just a couple of question.

I have many pictures in a folder on my old laptop. Just general photos we have backed up from our phones and camera. I would like to get them sorted and on to the mac. I am wondering if there is any software i can get on the mac that can put the pictures in date order and also check for duplicated pictures. Not by file name but buy the actual picture it self. It may sound silly but these macs are impressive and it wouldn't surprise me if there is.

The problem is we have thousands of pictures and a lot are duplicated from doing more than one back up from a device. Just hoping there may be a way of saving some time.

I am only moderately IT minded so please excuse my silly questions.

Thank you all!

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://brattoo.com/propaganda/#photos

Just drag and drop all those images into the Photos app like Dave mentioned. I have had good luck with the app Duplicate Annihilator for finding dupes.

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Since you are new to the Mac I highly recommend the book _Switching to the Mac, The Missing Manual - El Capitan Edition_ by David Pogue. You can buy paper or e-book copies on O'Reilly at http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920036333.do
    I prefer getting e-books from them as they are DRM free.

Oops - looks like that version won't be out until next month. You can always get the Yosemite edition instead.

5. Gavin_d thread starter macrumors newbie