New To Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by schock, Nov 17, 2007.

1. schock macrumors newbie

I have switched from the PC world to Mac, and just bought my first Imac. I am a computer novice. What are some good resources to help me withe switch. Thanks

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I would start by clicking on the Guides tab at the top of this page.

And take a look at Apple's videos on their web site

Welcome to Mac's....

3. schock thread starter macrumors newbie

4. replicant07 macrumors newbie

I'd also like some advice: my MBP arrives this week, my first Mac after years of the other side. I looked at the suggested guides and was pleased to see that some of my PC knowledge might be transferable (unpack...plug it in...switch it on...thanks Switch to a Mac guides :)). My question is on the same theme but a bit more specific: I'm happy to learn by playing/doing over the next few weeks, but is there anything that the more experienced users would do straight out of the box that might be harder to do a few weeks down the line when I've installed a few programs and got data on the machine? Also, are there any 'must have' programmes that I would be foolish not to get in terms of safety/maintenance/whatever?

Thanks in advance for any help

Guy

5. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

congrats on the MBP

when you first get it and go thru set up assistant, you should run software update and calibrate your batter (which is no fun, but is necessary to keep up w/ ur battery, but its not hard to do at all) Other than that, there isn't much else to do right out of the box. You'll find Macs are easier to keep up to date then windows machines.

6. replicant07 macrumors newbie

Calibrate battery

Thanks Bjett92, useful tip.

BW