New to Mac..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .michael, Dec 17, 2007.

1. .michael macrumors regular

Not that many problems at all. Just wondering, what are some great apps. and other things I should start doing and downloading!?

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just depends on what you want. If you are using Tiger (OS X 10.4), then I'd recommend AdiumX rather than iChat. If you are on Leopard (10.5), then I'd say just stick to iChat unless you want to be able to use other messenger protocols such as MSN, Yahoo, and more.

I'd probably recommend an RSS reader for all those sites you like to read from. I use NewsFire which is shareware, but Vienna is a great, free alternative.

For FTP, I use Transmit. Also shareware, but Cyberduck is also a free and great alternative.

For Torrents, go with Transmission. I don't bit torrent much, but I've heard it's one of the best apps out there on OS X.

Again, there are so many greats apps out there. You just need to know what you want. So anytime you are looking for an app, just check versiontracker.com or macupdate.com. Those are some of the best sites to find apps you are looking for. Also osx.iusethis.com is a good site to find out what apps are "hot." And if those fail, try either Google or just post a thread here for additional help.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Depends on what you need to do but I like these

0) iLife.

1) Final Cut Express. Best video editor for home users. Unless you use "exotic" video formats has everything you could need and is not to hard to learn to use. Still this is a big program with a learning curve.

2) As much as I think "elements" has every feature a photographer needs It is not "universal" and is not so fast. CS3 is better. It will be nice when Adbobe releases "Elements" as a Universal. Next year they say. Until then it you are shooting JPGs look at "gimp" at www.gimp.org. If you do graphic design then CS3 is the way to go.

3) Microsoft has a good promo deal on "Office" right now.

4) VMware "fusion" allows you to run another OS on top of Mac OS X. Linux and Solaris run fine under Fusion. Windoes XP does too but I use that less.

5) Among CAD systems. I've tried a few and I think Turbo CAD Pro (the 3D version) is the best value

6) If you are into electronics look up "kicad". It is the best of the free EDA suites that will run on a Mac. http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

5. .michael thread starter macrumors regular

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I just recently got Delicious Library for keeping track of my DVD library (and primarily what I've leant out to whom so I don't lose stuff).

Also, I'm looking at finally doing a database of all my 'insurables' (electronics, computers, a/v equipment, etc) around the house in case of theft or fire or some disaster of some sort. I think Filemaker's Bento is going to be the tool for that.

iLife & iWork I use a LOT. Just did a great looking resume in Pages.

Skitch is great for screen caps, Jing does the same but also records video. Great if you're trying to show someone how to do something. Easily make a video with narration.

7. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

well if you are using leopard, you can use Mail's built in RSS reader, that's what I use

Other than that, I would say Handbrake is great for ripping your DVD collection for use with iTunes and Front Row

8. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Wow I thought i knew some good apps but these are great havent even seen half of them before!

Thanks!

On-Topic: check out Toast for all your burning needs!

9. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

10. MortimerJazz macrumors regular

Just bookmarking this thread - Bento looks like it could be the solution to my address book problem.

Is anyone using this at the moment? What's the personal contacts section like?

11. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I'd say iStats and VLC are two staples on my iMac

iStats - great way to populate small icons in your launch pad (bar on the top) to check memory usage, disk usage, fans, temperature, bandwidth etc. Just extremely useful and you can click on an icon there to show graphs and such. I use the first two (memory/disk usage) and it's extremely insightful.

VLC - great video suite so you can view almost any movie format out there using one package, excellent controls and interface. Replaces alot of unnecessary 3rd party video codecs, and small memory footprint.

-jim