New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eXoBrute, Jan 7, 2009.

1. eXoBrute macrumors regular

Alright well im moving to a macbook in a few months, i have owned a PC for ever and i really have been researching macs and all that lately and have decided to switch to them but have a few questions.

First off there are 3 accessories i really don't know what they do and apple doesn't really give a good description online.

What do all of these do: AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and the Time Capsule

I dont really understand them, i know the airport ones have something to do with like the wireless network? please explain all of them if you will

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Express is a little outlet-based Wi-Fi station capable of wirelessly streaming music to a stereo.

Extreme is the standard base station.

Time Capsule has a hard drive in it for system backups.

You can read about them all on Apple.com.

3. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

All three provide wireless internet connections.
    The Extreme can connect up to 50 users and you can connect a hard drive and printer.
    The Express allows 10 users, and you can connect a printer and wirelessly stream music to your stereo.
    The Time Capsule is the same as the Extreme but has a built in hard drive for Time Machine Backups.

4. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

So i kinda figured this out i looked further onto apples website and saw the capsule like u guys said is backing up etc. The Extreme is like a router right? and also i dont quite understand the Express, is it a router as well?

5. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Yes the express is a router.

6. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so

capsule= Backup
    Extreme= Bigger router
    Express= Smaller more portable router

Also how does the express act as a router when its not plugged into a modem?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It works as any real Wi-Fi router, but not for the Internet. The Internet isn't everything, man! ;) Wi-Fi data transfers!

8. eXoBrute thread starter macrumors regular

Ok ok i understand now. Thanks for all your help guys im ready to make the switch now =P