New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LethalUK, Aug 4, 2009.

1. LethalUK macrumors member

I just got a Macbook Pro! 

I think it is very quick, but being a Windows user before, I was wondering what I can do to make sure my Mac runs quickly. I used to run Disk Fragment etc, at least once a week.

Also, what can I do to make sure that the computer starts up very quickly, and to keep the battery health good (Ex. Sleep Mode Vs. Shutdown).

Any must have apps, anything I need to know coming from Windows.

:apple:

I noticed the computer keeps telling me about the battery power choice, how can I make sure that the Processor, Graphics and everything is running well and not trimmed back to save power, as I can't find it?

Thanks guys!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Must have apps are iStat and Coconut Battery.

You can read Apple's information about batteries here. Battery calibration information is here. You should go through at least a charge cycle a month for best health, but more are better. A charge cycle is any time your computer goes though 100% of charge, whether this is a full discharge or ten 100% to 90% discharges.

I would recommend that you keep your computer in sleep mode all the time. Macs are meant to run forever and only need to be restarted for updates. Battery drain while sleeping is also very low.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

OS X automatically defragments most files as needed.

Avoid installing login items and preference panes.

Calibrate your battery once every month or so.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

There is a "Energy Saver" pane in System Preferences.

5. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Don't defragment. The file system Macs use don't need it unless you completely fill your disk at some point. The file system is self-managing.

Power is under the Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Energy Saver.

Now, for software:
    Adium - near-universal chat client
    Caffeine - one-click to keep your Mac from sleeping while you watch movies, etc.
    CoRD - In case you ever need Remote Desktop to PCs (no idea what you do, so I thought I'd be inclusive)
    CyberDuck - FTP
    VLC - Everyone, everywhere should have VLC.

Extra-special add-ons:
    MacFUSE & NTFS-3G - These two let you read and write NTFS (Windows) volumes, which include most PC-formatted portable hard drives and some USB sticks.
    Perian - Video codecs for QuickTime.
    Flip4Mac - play WMV videos in QuickTime

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't use NTFS-3G. It is the slowest driver you will ever use.
    MacFUSE is here.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I check fragmentation with TechTool Pro once a month. I run it every other month, or sometimes the third month from the last time. Even then, the fragmentation is not severe.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Do not run a disk defragmenter as you risk doing more harm than good. HFS+ is a self-defragmenting file system and any additional tools can ruin data.

9. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

I currently are running it in Sleep mode all the time, as I usually use it in the morning for around 30 minutes, then about 1 hours in the afternoon before a small rest for about 2 hours, with another 1-2 hours of use again before I go to sleep (This is during School).

With no school, it is on almost all the time, unless I go out. Currently, I am charging it up to 100% while it is off, and then using it until it goes down the about 5% off battery.

How can I switch off the login items and preferences as mentioned in here?

Also, the million pound question, will the Mac slow down after time? I plan on keeping it for Summer 2012, then I will buy a new one when I hit 18, to use the student discount and get the free iPod to knock further off the price.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

System Preferences -> Accounts

All hard drives slow down as they fill up. Keep about 30% or at least 40GB free to avoid slowdowns. The computer itself doesn't slow down, but feels slower as technology gets faster ;)
    Macs can easily last 3 years or more. Get AppleCare to make sure it lasts 3 years.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

well the mac won't actually slow down with time but software requirements and a fuller HD will make the speed of the Mac slower. I have an old iBook G$ 800 mhz :eek: that runs a fresh install of Tiger for my Sister to do basic browsing and word processing and it's still fine, obviously if I were to stress the system more then it would show it's age but in this set-up it's as fast as the day I got it

you will just have to face up to the fact that there will be a point when you cannot keep automatically updating and as long as you stay at a point when your system is quick you will be fine :)

12. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I don't notice any speed decrease with the NTFS-3G driver. And NTFS-3G relies on macfuse, it is installed automatically when the ntfs driver is installed. I'm pretty sure Macfuse alone does not allow you to write to ntfs formatted drives.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The MacFUSE driver is easily 2-3 times faster than the NTFS-3G when it comes to writing data. The difference is night and day.
    Unless something has changed recently, this is not the case at all. The NTFS-3G may be based off of FUSE as is MacFUSE, but the implementation isn't as good.
    Yes it does. It also allows you to format them with Disk Utility.

14. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Oh, so I can just delete the ntfs-3g driver and still be able to write to my ntfs formatted drives? I was under the impression that you needed both.

15. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I have both installed without problem. I think the MacFUSE driver has priority though.

16. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

17. 1ne macrumors regular

Humm... regarding MacFUSE. I had this installed from VMWare but I clearly remember I could not write to a NTFS format until I had install NTFS-3G.

Was there something I need to turn on in MacFUSE?

update
    Humm... I just uninstalled NTFS-3G and I could not move a file into NTFS drive.

Attached Files:

18. LethalUK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I plan to keep most of my stuff on an external hard drive, and a 16GB memory stick that I will buy for school.

I brought the 13 inch version, as I want the portability for school, and coming from a 17 inch windows computer, I thought it would seem small. However, it doesn't, with the clarity and quality of the screen, I don't even need to maximize the window to see everything!