New to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DemeanorRis, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DemeanorRis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just purchased an iMac like a month ago for my birthday. When I bought it, I noticed the top of the aluminum gets kind of hot, the temperature ran up to 129*F so I got a bit worried so I downloaded Fan Control, so now (a month later) I decided that it might be bad for the fans since their set to do whatever they do on their own. So I was running a virtual game, then my fan ran this low fast whirring noise. Is that normal? All my fan speed is 1099rpm and a little up. Anyone have suggestions?

Should I keep using fan control or get rid of it?

How do I get my default fan settings back?

Right now, at this moment, it's very quiet. I do not hear it but when I run virtual games, iMovie and such, it starts to sped up a bit and creates this low whirring sound.

2. Xapphire13 macrumors regular

Xapphire13

129F (54C) is normal for a computer, especially when playing games. Don't fret over it.

EDIT: I would also not use fan control. The OS and computer sensors will be smart enough to prevent over heating.

3. RayK macrumors 6502

I would agree not to use fan control. Laptops get hot. THose temps are on the low end of what my computer will run at sometimes.

4. DemeanorRis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You

Thank you guys,

I feel more relax now lol.