New to Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jmk229, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jmk229 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I really need to be able to run some windows applications on my mac while I'm working on my mac. How do I do this? What do I need to buy? Windows XP or Vista software? What is bootcamp and Parallels?

Sorry I really want to learn this stuff so any info is appreciated.

2. canada eh macrumors regular

It depends on what you plan on running.

You can use vmware by sun Microsystems to run simple applications but if you are planning to run more heavy applications you will need bootcamp. Bootcamp is just installing the os to another partition, so you will have to restart your mac to boot into a full windows installation.

3. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

I think the program I want to run is more heavy duty. It's basically a database. So what is Parallels then? The only info I found is that you can run both at the same time. So essentially I need to buy Parallels or Bootcamp and a Windows OS?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is the name of the application you wanna use?

Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion are two commercial software titles to run Windows as a so-called virtual machine while Mac OS X is running. Boot Camp is the name of the Apple software and method to make a dedicated partition on your HDD to run a native Windows (while Mac OS X is NOT running) version.

If you use MRoogle or Google or Bing or Yahoo or any other of these so-called search engines and enter the names of the applications I just mentioned and some describing words like "how does ... work" you will find plenty of information, so it seems redundant to go into more detail here, if there is already a vast amount of detailed information out there.

MRoogle is the search engine to search these forums, link can be found in many signatures, including mine.

5. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

You can run SkiFree in Darwine

I know that doesn't help you directly, but some day, you'll want to play skifree and you'll be glad I told you that.

Attached Files:

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.
    Welcome to the Forum and to the world of Mac.

Here's the way it is:

You can run Windows on modern Macs with Intel processors and Leopard or Snow Leopard. (OSX 10.5, 10.6 in the "about this mac" dialog)

If it was bought new since about 2007 you should be OK.

"Bootcamp" is free. It's already on your Mac.
    It's a tiny bit tricky to set up, but allows you to run Windows XP, Vista or Seven.
    The way Bootcamp works is: You buy a copy of Windows, install it using Bootcamp and then restart the computer in either OSX or Windows. One or the other but not both at once.

VMware Fusion and Parallels are virtualization programs.
    They allow you to run Windows inside an OSX Window without restarting the computer. You have to purchase both Fusion (or Parallels) and Windows.

Windows will run extremely demanding programs like Video Games or Video Editing better in Bootcamp. Anything else should be fine in Fusion/Parallels.

When purchasing Windows, it is best to buy the Full Retail Boxed version.
    This gives you the maximum flexibility for later re-installations.
    Since your Mac does not come with Windows on it, it is not eligible for upgrade versions of Windows directly.

Good Luck,
    Keri

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The free alternative to Parallels/VMWare Fusion is Virtualbox which is from Sun Microsystems. http://www.virtualbox.org/ any of these should be fine for a database.

EDIT: You just want to make sure you give it enough RAM, if you don't already have 4GB of RAM or more, spend your money on upgrading that and dedicate at least 2 GB to Windows.

B