New to Mac :))

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnthrMacUser, Jun 18, 2010.

1. AnthrMacUser macrumors newbie

hi everyone im new to mac. i just got my first mac it's a 15" early 2010. anyone know anything i should know about?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I'll be studying Digital Art with this 15" it's the low end one, hope it's great later on!

4. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Swipe all 4 fingers down when you have a few windows open and see what happens

5. Helljumper macrumors member

I also recently just got my first Mac. Aside from the obvious greater simplicity of OSX when compared to Windows, my favorite features are using the multi-touch features of the touch pad (There is an app out there to customize this and I highly recommend for you to get it).

Scrolling down with 2 fingers, using 3 fingers to quickly get to the top and bottom of pages, using 4 to go to Expose and quickly switch to another program. All this is so intuitive and quickly becomes second nature. It's so helpful for a person like me who primarily uses a computer for Itunes and the web to browse forums.

6. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Congratulations on switching to Mac, you are going to love it! :D

Cheers,
    Jonathan Borichef

7. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everyone! i read about the battery calibration. i'm down to 7%! :D I am loving my macbook pro very much. I've been editing some things on photoshop and it's flawless. What apps are out there that are useful? Someone above mentioned it? I saw a list of applications from the links but I'm not sure which one is the most useful or most mac users uses. Any tips?

8. toffa813 macrumors regular

Some software I suggest:

BetterTouchTool- Custom trackpad gestures, I use this all the time and its absolutely fantastic

SMC Fan Control- Lets you set the speed of your fans so that it stays cooler instead of the fans running at a speed that just keeps it within operating limits. (I keep mine at about 3000rpm if I'm doing light stuff)

Dropbox- 2GB free cloud storage- keeps files synced between computers, your phone, and their website. (use my referral link please: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTc3NzYwMTc5)

And Steam if you game. I've only played some portal and half life 2 so far and they're very good

I also use istat 2 to monitor cpu and mem(google it and its free, or you can get v3 for $16) and gmail notifier.

9. AnthrMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone and thank you toffa813 for your suggestions. I looked at steam for gaming and I have not tried it yet but I will. I'm trying to get everything in order for school but the drop box is definitely going to help. I downloaded the v3 for istat and also bought it. They come with a fan set as well under sensor so I don't think I will be needing smcfancontrol, will I? School's starting next week, I'm excited to use my macbook pro to see how this machine works. I've heard a lot of great things from my other friends who uses macbook pro but they have the 13" mbp.

How do you guys use your a/c adapter charger? I ran my calibration last night and now I'm still on the charger. I'm at home, so do i leave the charger in or take it off to exercise the battery or what? I'm not sure what to do. haha

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios