New to MacBook, gmail problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hime03, Sep 7, 2007.

1. hime03 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I've read these forums for the last year, always debating if I should get a macbook and now I've done it and do not regret it =)

The first thing I did when I turned it on was go to gmail.com. I have DSL that is connected to a wireless router by the way. It didn't work so I clicked on the mail link from google and that didn't work either. I've also tried googlemail.com, but it did not work. I then downloaded firefox to see if it was the Safari browser, but firefox did not work either. The rest of the internet works fine.

All other pc laptops and pc desktops in this household can get on gmail both wired and wirelessly. Only the new macbook cannot connect to gmail wirelessly. My laptop can get on gmail if I connect it by wire (ethernet cable) to the router.

I've read online that people have problems logging onto their gmail account, but I can't even get to the page. So I assume it has to do with a blocked port either on the macbook or the router? Has anyone else have this problem?

2. elcid macrumors 6502

I have the same problem in Camino sometimes with CNN.com. I am not sure what causes it, but a forced quit or a reboot seems to fix the problem.

3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I have a GMail account and use my MacBook exclusively with it and have never had any problems connecting with Safari or Camino web browsers, wired or wireless.

When you say you tired to go to GMail and it "didn't work", what do you mean? Did you receive an error message?

What wireless AP are you using?

When you're on wireless and you go to a command line and type "nslookup www.gmail.com" what does it return? If it returns and IP address can you ping it?

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I've been on for last 1 1/2 years...

I've been on gmail w/ my first 1.83 GHz and now my 2.4 SR MBP.... both have worked fine so far...

I have always used Firefox and never had any sync troubles... :rolleyes:

5. hime03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's the response I get when I ping and nslookup it:

Last login: Fri Sep 7 19:40:09 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    phuong-nguyens-computer:~ Phuong$ nslookup www.gmail.com
    Server: 206.13.28.12
    Address: 206.13.28.12#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.gmail.com canonical name = mail.google.com.
    mail.google.com canonical name = googlemail.l.google.com.
    Name: googlemail.l.google.com
    Address: 209.85.147.83
    Address: 209.85.147.18
    Address: 209.85.147.19

phuong-nguyens-computer:~ Phuong$ ping www.gmail.com
    PING mail.google.com (209.85.201.83): 56 data bytes

As for the response I get when I type or click on the link to gmail.com,
    first I wait a really long time... it's "loading" but the page is blank. Then I get to this page titled Problem loading page:

The connection has timed out
    The server at www.gmail.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Try again

As for what wireless AP I am using, I'm using one made by netgear.. is that the question?

Thank you for responding to my post.

6. katy.did macrumors newbie

I am an absolute Newbie, but have you tried to access your gmail account using your Mac Mail? I can't say why you aren't able to connect to gmail with your web browser, but give this a try. You will need to enable POP in your gmail account first (which will require opening the web version of gmail; hopefully you can find another computer for a bit!) and then follow the instructions given here.

My mac runs the tiger, and the prompts are a bit different than what is shown on the gmail help center webpage. Actually, its much easier to set it up on tiger. Just follow the basic instructions and you'll be good.

It won't solve your specific problem completely, but at least you might be able to access your gmail account with your mac. Hope that helps a bit!