New to Macbook, love it, need some help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laborde2005, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Laborde2005 macrumors newbie

Im new to macbook and have the new aluminum one, 2.4 ghz. I read some threads on people saying that you should use special cleaners like iklear to clean the macbook. If it is aluminum, what the problem with using a regular glass cleaner?
    Also, is there something else i can use instead of iklear, since the closest apple store is about 100 miles from me, to get the oil from fingerprints off of the keys?
    Help is appreciated

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Microfiber cloths and water work wonders :)
    Lightly dampened I might add, don't go dripping water all in your keys ;)
    You don't have to spend much $ to keep your computer clean. Just wash the cloth in soap/water and rinse well, then wring out and start with the screen, then keyboard, trackpad, etc.

I would discourage using glass cleaner on the entire computer, even though the screen is in fact glass. I would be afraid what long-term use might do to the anodized finish.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: New To Macbook

drew wrote:
    "I would discourage using glass cleaner on the entire computer, even though the screen is in fact glass. I would be afraid what long-term use might do to the anodized finish."

I, too, would be wary of more powerful glass cleaners like Windex, which [I believe] contains ammonia.

However, I've found ordinary "Glass Plus" to be very mild. I use it on the polished aluminum of a motorcycle with no ill effects. I doubt there's anything in it that would mar the aluminum of the MacBook....

- John

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I've used amonia-less Windex for years. As long as you stay away from those harsh chemicals like that and bleach, you'll be OK for the most part. iKlear and the like are for lazy people (I've got some too!) or scared people who don't want to worry about that sort of thing. Also, alcohol towelettes are awesome, though I only rarely use that, and then mainly for internal components or hard to clean gross-ness if I need to.

Also, never spray anything ON your laptop. Spray it on the cloth first, and only moisten the cloth after that. No dripping like mentioned above.

5. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I use generic brand household surface wipes on all the aluminum stuff and a damp cloth for my LCDs. Works brilliantly.