New to macbook need some help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hiofficr87, Feb 16, 2012.

1. hiofficr87 macrumors newbie

Ok well first let me start off by saying that i am new to the whole macbook thing but I'm fairly educated when it comes to computers. i am in the process of installing a OWC data doubler with a OWC 120gb mercury pro 6g ssd. I want to use the SSD to start the computer and applications. (ALL I WANT ON THERE IS THE ESSENTIALS) i want to use my 500GB macintosh HD for mass storage of music and files....I am going to use carbon copy cloner but as it seems the easiest but i have no idea what i am suppose to "check" with CCC to get only the bare essentials on there. as of now there is 120.5 GB of space used on the 500GB drive and i know most of that is probably video and photos and music.I have heard some people say just the "USER" file but i want to make sure

HELP PLEASE THANKS IN ADVANCE
    [​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

As most of that 120 GB on the HDD is probably in your Users folder, collapse the Users folder on the TARGET side and deselect the folders in your home directory you don't want to clone.

You can also employ the following method:

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.​

3. hiofficr87 thread starter macrumors newbie

you were correct i believe it was something along the lines of 80GB being used in the "Users" folder..i just deselected that and also the "Home" folder....with doing this will everything still work like normal it my applications

4. hiofficr87 thread starter macrumors newbie

i actually posted this in the wrong area. i have a macbook pro not an air...but now the issue i have is that i have lost all my preferences when i boot from my SSD how can i get them back?

5. simsaladimbamba

You clone/copy the LIBRARY folder from the older User folder on the HDD to your User folder on the SSD, while booted from the external HDD.