New to macbook pro and need help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by squall112, Sep 26, 2011.

1. squall112 macrumors newbie

Hi this is my first time using mbp or even the whole mac system, im running on bootcamp and recently i've been buying some games like call of duty black ops and the witcher. However, i realise i was not able to run both games smoothly, for witcher, i was able to run in rather smoothly in medium settings without AA and fps would start to drop on high settings without AA. This is not much of a problem though, the real problem is with Black ops. Im running on a super low setting.
    Here are my black ops graphic setting

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jcdr91/screenshots/

My specs are
    Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20ghz
    Installed Memory (RAM) : 8.00gb
    AMD raedon 6600M and 6700M series

Im no computer tech savy kind of person but i do know that the specs are not so good, but i dont think it warrants a 20-50 fps in Call of duty black ops which really makes it really hard to play. Im dissapointed that after bringing down the config so much im still facing problems like that.

I also realise when i plugged in during low battery level thats when the fps starts to drop or it will drop after a few minutes sometimes even if the battery level is high and the top left of my keyboard tends to get very hot after playing awhile. I tried enabling powerplay but im not able to enable it borrowing a picture from fellow member itsnipon

http://i56.tinypic.com/m97xcp.png

was unable to enable the powerplay.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Let me get this straight, you bought a Mac to game with? I don't know what you expected. Any serious gamer would simply get a desktop which is more powerful and cheaper. 20-50fps sounds just right for Black Ops, I don't see what you're complaining about.

If you really think your graphics card isn't cutting it, you could always overclock it, but you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

3. squall112 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didnt really buy this mac for gaming, actually my dad bought it as he wanted to explore mac since we never used apple before beside iphone and ipad :D . Ya but i did ran a benchmark test got 1000 plus point and the web says my system was running at a low fps compared to similar system :(

I know this mbp wasn't intended for gaming but since i got it i thought i should make full use of it :) . I realise when im plugging in during low battery level, the fps would drop. I'm not really interested in overclocking my hardware as i do not want it to be "fried" but is there any other way to make the system faster? I saw it from another forum that powerplay from ATI might work but i wasn't able to enable it :(

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Make sure you're running plugged into the wall, first and foremost, and run the system in "high performance mode" in the power settings, apart from that, there's nothing you can do short of overclocking to improve your gaming performance.

5. xdbuix macrumors 6502

be sure to update ur graphics drivers. I found out that mine was really out of date and when i went to upgrade my 2011 15" mbp graphics in bootcamp, it was really giving me a hard time. good luck!