New to Macbook Pro have some questions/help needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SurferMan, May 14, 2010.

1. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Getting an MBP today, 2.53ghz, 4gb, still under warranty blah blah lol. Now I trade forex and a little confused but understand there are ways to use MT4. either through Parallels or VMware etc. Where I'm confused is I can't figure out if you need windows installed or this allows you to run products like Metatrader without installing windows?

I also found this: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org and people said this will allow you run products like Metatrader w/o windows installed I think.

Anybody help with this lol? Problem is my computers have windows but I don't have the cd's or anything, don't know if theres a way I can just copy/transfer XP over? I need to run Metatrader for my accounts.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Parallels/Fusion are VM server, meaning they require an install of Windows and run it in parallels with Mac OS X. And no, you'll need to purchase a copy of Windows.

3. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

what about winebottler? From what I understand it allows you to run windows apps on OSX without windows installed, I think? I only need to run Metatrader.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I am unfamiliar with MT, and I have no idea if it will run in a WINE environment. At least with Parallels, you have 100% assurance that it will work now, and in the future, and doesn't depend on some open source people to get issues worked out for you.

5. SurferMan thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually I just found out some good news pry help other Mac traders. Most companies should have a VPS service that host your account and even allow an EA to be used like normal etc. I use IamFx and Alpari UK, IamFX does this so mac users can run their traders and monitor without installing windows or anything, gotta find out if Alpari does this. IamFX vps is free, some charge though I think.

Really good thing though is it avoids any downtime, for some reason I've noticed MT4 a few times a day will disconnect and reconnect no matter what connection I'm on (home, office etc).