New to Macbook Pro - Questions about Video Card, RAM, 3rd party hardware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fadingdreams, Jul 28, 2007.

1. fadingdreams macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting a mac laptop for years and after working a ton this summer I am finally going to take the plunge and purchase a macbook pro. I just have a few questions that I am hoping to get answered before I make my purchase.

I have been searching the net and this forum but I would still like some advice about whether the 2.2 ghz mbp or the 2.4 ghz mbp is better for my needs. I am a 3rd year design student so I will be using the Adobe CS3 suite a lot on the laptop...and I will usually have at least 3 of the programs open...Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash or Dreamweaver all at one time. Now I know that .2 ghz won't do much, but will having a better graphics card help me? I want this laptop to last me at least 3-4 years...as well, I might start editing videos as well.

Also, if I want to upgrade the ram later on, and use 3rd party hardware, will this void my warrenty? Or applecare?

Thank you very much!!!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You'll be fine with the 2.2Ghz model. RAM upgrades don't void anything.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

2.2 is fine for you. RAM can be added on without voiding the warranty, but remember that if your new RAM fails, it is not covered by Apple.

4. fadingdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry this is a bit late but THANK YOU both for your responses. You guys rock!

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The video card will make little if any difference to 2-D programs like Photoshop and most other graphic programs, so the extra VRAM doesn't really factor for that.