New to MacBook. Question...

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
6E8D5E9C-A742-4CBA-97B6-AC521D16B83D.jpeg
Hello. New to Macs. Just picked up a 2018 MacBook Pro 15”

All I did so far was download Adobe Flashplayer so I can watch games on the NHL website and Last Pass password manager. I decided to poke around and explore my new device a bit. Came across this under the Downloads dock icon> Options > Show in Finder.

Shows DropBox under the Public tab from Dec, 31 1969. I don’t use DropBox and have no clue why it’s here. Also the date under the Movies tab is Dec, 31 1969.

Is this normal? Can someone please advise? Why is it there? Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Thank you in advance...

Stephen.R

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
That drop box is not the same as the company/app. It’s a folder designed to let others (in the local network) copy files to you without being able to see what else has been copied there. File sharing is disabled by default so it does nothing unless you enable file sharing.

Midnight Jan 1 1970 UTC is the unix epoch so the modification dates are likely just messed up. Not quite sure why they would be but it’s not a critical issue.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
That drop box is not the same as the company/app. It’s a folder designed to let others (in the local network) copy files to you without being able to see what else has been copied there. File sharing is disabled by default so it does nothing unless you enable file sharing.

Midnight Jan 1 1970 UTC is the unix epoch so the modification dates are likely just messed up. Not quite sure why they would be but it’s not a critical issue.

Thank you very much! I almost went a deleting binge. I'm very anal and OCD lol

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I wouldn't even do that these days. Flash is almost dead and afaik Chrome plays Flash just fine without an external player.
Also, does the website really require Flash? In 2019?
Far as I know. There is no Mac app for the NHL website so when I visited the site (with Safari) and clicked on one of the games to watch, a pop up showed saying Adobe Flash is required to view. Any reason I should be concerned? I’ve been out of the laptop game for almost 10 years.

Toutou

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
It's just that Flash has been on its way out for the last ten years, being replaced by various other technologies, mostly by parts of HTML5 (for video, drawing graphics etc). And rightfully so, being proprietary and a security nightmare.
A high profile web app still using Flash for video playback in 2019 is, well, kind of embarrassing.

Reactions: Itinj24

hobowankenobi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
Apple has named it that for the entire history of OS X...unfortunate that it often gets confused with the product Drop Box. Would be nice if Apple called it Mail Slot, cuz its purpose it so other users can drop stuff in it.....no wait, then folks would think it was email related.

Regardless of what it is called, it's permissions are Write Only for everyone. Only the owner of the account (you in this case) has Read permissions.
[doublepost=1551389150][/doublepost]
I wouldn't even do that these days. Flash is almost dead and afaik Chrome plays Flash just fine without an external player.
Also, does the website really require Flash? In 2019?
Yep. You Chrome for any site that requires Flash...and you never have to install or update Flash again. Just keep Chrome up to date. Done.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It's just that Flash has been on its way out for the last ten years, being replaced by various other technologies, mostly by parts of HTML5 (for video, drawing graphics etc). And rightfully so, being proprietary and a security nightmare.
A high profile web app still using Flash for video playback in 2019 is, well, kind of embarrassing.
Lol, gotchya, thanks. Guess I don’t have much of a choice here then since that’s what it’s asking for. Suppose I can use Chrome. A/V played fine on it though.