new to macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by felix001, Jul 5, 2012.

1. felix001 macrumors newbie

Good day Ladys and gents,

I just bought myself a macbook pro this spring and find it very complicated to use.to begin with I'm not a seasoned user of computers in general and find it very difficult to find the kind of help i need up here in the north and your help would be greatly appreciated,,I tried to upload my youtube videos on to my mac from my windows vista but they won't upload and play been very frustrating .downloading and installing simple programs such as monolingual was a challenge to complete as for players such as VLC i can't get it to install on my mac..thank you for creating this informative site as i will a regular user proud owner of mac

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Mac's are quite different from windows. So they're not necessarily hard to work with, they require a totally different kind of thinking. For example VLC. You download the file (which is a .dmg). You double click the .dmg file. It opens a folder with VLC. This is the program it works right out of the box. The only thing you now need to do to permanently install it, is to drag it into your applications folder.

(a .dmg is like a zip file. It compresses files. When you open a .dmg file, it shows itself as a thumbdrive in finder, so a .dmg is like a virtual thumb drive that compresses your files).

3. docx macrumors member

Like you I am a new mac user. I found "Tutor for lion" from the App store very helpful. Also "Scotutor for mac".
    Both apps are very good for helping new users get used to mac os.