New to Macbooks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin00, Apr 14, 2012.

1. jamin00 macrumors 6502

jamin00

Hi, never had a Macbook Pro until yesterday. Been a long time user of the iPhone and iPads but finally got my first Macbook. Its the 15 inch version and is great but what I'm after are some tips, advice anything that can help me really on my transition over to Mac :)

Cheers

Ben

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Pro Tip: You should have waited a few more weeks. The new 2012 15" MBP is just around the corner; and it may carry a new case design.

3. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, what do you want to do with your Mac? If you want to try new software, you can go to the App Store or to the Mac Update website (http://www.macupdate.com/).

4. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

I'm not worried about the new design.

I would like cool apps, I will be using it for work (Spreadsheets etc so have got numbers) but anything you think is essential and cool then I'll be interested.

I have been searching around for stuff. What browsers do you use, I used to use Chrome but am liking Safari on this. Runs well.

Interested in anything you got to say really

5. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, you may try the following:

Web browsers:

Mozilla Firefox
    Google Chrome
    Camino

They are all free, so why not give them a try?

Office suites:

Apple iWork (Pages, Numbers and Keynote)
    Microsoft Office 2011
    LibreOffice

Apple iWork is great, but a little bit outdated since Apple did not release a new version in 3 years. Microsoft Office is, well, Microsoft Office, but not so good as the Windows version, in my humble opinion. LibreOffice is the open source alternative, it's free, so you should keep it installed just in case.

Word processors:

Nisus Writer (Pro/Express)
    Mellel
    Scrivener
    Bean
    Ulysses

If you want just a word processor instead of a full office suite, you may try these. Nisus and Mellel are very advanced, with high end features for long and complex documents. Scrivener is a beautiful tool, also for structured writing. Bean is free. And there are several others.

Photo editing:

Apple iPhoto
    Apple Aperture
    Adobe Lightroom
    GIMP
    Picasa
    Lightzone

I don't really use them so much, but you may give them a try if you want. Some of them are free. There is also Photoshop, if you want high-end photo editing.

Desktop publishing:

iCalamus
    Swift Publisher
    Scribus
    Quark X Press
    Adobe InDesign

There are lots of alternatives here; Quark X Press and InDesign are high-end pieces of software, very expensive ones. Scribus is free and open source. And the other ones are affordable. Apple Pages also does a great job here.

Information managers:

Bento
    DEVONThink
    Together
    Yojimbo
    Eagle Filer

There are lots of alternatives here; I am particularly impressed by the power of DEVONThink, and there is not similar to it for Windows.

If you want an outliner, try the great Omni Outliner. And if you want to burn CDs/DVDs, the best option is Toast Titanium (but it is paid; Burn is free and also good).

The best media player for Mac is still iTunes, IMHO. You may try Songbird or Clementine. And make sure you have VLC installed on your computer.

If you want a nice and addictive game, try Pac the Man X, the greatest Pac Man game ever. And it's free, but only for Mac.

Keep AppZapper or AppCleaner or a similar app for uninstalling all this stuff once you want to get rid of them.

Anything specific you may have in mind?

6. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Safari is a great browser. The double tap with three fingers will pop up a mini definition for just about any word you do it on, in browser. If you're interested in retaining Adblock functionality, it is available for the browser. I use Ninjakit for greasemonkey stuff, if you do that.

Don't forget that there's a full screen option (the arrows in the box in the upper right hand corner of the browser), I live in full screen and with spaces that is awesome. You can do the four finger swipe left and right to change spaces, which is great for work.

Ninjakit: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/NinjaKit-for-Safari.shtml
    Adblock: http://safariadblock.com/
    Clicktoflash: http://clicktoflash.com/ (equivalent to Flashblock)

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the new upgrade coming. I think the current gen of MacBook Pros look fantastic, other companies have yet to catch up to the quality of the build and the general aesthetic quality of the product. It's hard to imagine it could even be improved upon, but I guess we'll see. Enjoy your new Mac. :D

7. jamin00 thread starter macrumors 6502

jamin00

Cheers for taking the time to read and reply guys :)

Finding some great stuff with this forum and lots of browsing :)

My Apple remote from my Apple TV works, great. It all connects to my Bose Sound dock 10 just like the iPad etc.

AWESOME!!!!!!

8. upbraid macrumors member

avoid:
    dropping it
    spilling bodily fluid on it
    spilling non-bodily fluid on it
    getting it stolen

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Here are a few beginner posts I've written for my Apple/Mac blog: http://applemachq.com/category/beginner-mac/

Only about 5 or so tips there but I've been told they are useful.

Apps:

Chrome
    Firefox
    Spotify
    1Password
    Caffeine
    ClamXav
    Dropbox (very useful if you have iOS devices)
    Handbrake
    Skitch
    SuperDuper (make clone backups of your Mac)
    TextWrangler
    VideoMonkey
    VLC

Some are free some are not; all are apps I use on a regular basis.