New to MacRumors, and Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pumas927, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Pumas927, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

Pumas927 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

My name is Grant, and I am new to the forums. I have been browsing the forums for a short time, and decided that this would be an excellent place to get some advice.

Currently, I have an HP Pavillion dv5-1235dx laptop, running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition. I'm running on an Intel Core 2 Duo processor @2.00 GHz, with 4GB of RAM and a "300" (264 GB) hard drive. However, the more I use a Mac (in biology and other labs on campus), and at home (parents have an iMac) the more I want a Mac. Basically, until I finally used one, I didn't want much to do with them but have since become a convert, haha. Also, it would make dealing with iTunes ALOT less of a hassle. Windows really makes it a pain. :mad:

I have a limited budget to work with, so here is what I am thinking:possibly selling the HP (I'd have to see the avg $ they are going for) and starting out with a MacBook (most likely used but more leaning toward a refurb). Ideally, like to only spend about $400-$500 on the Mac itself. I am thinking of getting one on the lower end (in terms of RAM and hard drive GB to help the $ issue), then purchasing and upgrading the RAM and memory myself. (From what I have come across, its pretty painless to do yourself). :)

From what I am thinking, does this seem to be a good way to go about getting my Mac?

[Edit]: Also, I have a 500GB Seagate external hard drive. Would this be of any use in my situation, if I purchased a mac with low RAM and hard drive GB?

Any advice or help is definitely appreciated!

Regards,

Grant

2. articcine macrumors regular

It depends on your needs. What will you use it for? Just everyday tasks, or editing, etc? Are you in the market for a Macbook Pro (which currently got updated, but probably the Macbooks will be updated soon as well.)?

3. Pumas927 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

As far as needs go, I would be using it for everyday uses like Internet browsing, email, word documents, etc. I would be in the Macbook Pro market, but like I said my budget is more limited, so a regular Macbook is more in my price range.

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I got the macbook 2.4ghz too replace my old one that was about 3 years old as it had an accident.

I got it with the basic ram + hard drive then upgraded them myself (ram too 4gb, hard drive too 500gb in a month or so) simply because it's cheaper that way, you generally get better tech and it's so easy too do the upgrade. Apple show you how too do it in very simple & quick steps in the user guide.

5. articcine macrumors regular

Then I suggest you go for it ;) Or if you don't need it urgently, wait to see if it will be updated during the next 1-3 months..

6. Pumas927 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice guys.

Right now, I am looking at purchasing a model from Amazon to upgrade. A few sellers there are offering refurbs at a seemingly decent price. If anyone wouldn't mind sharing their opinion on which would be the smarter buy, I would very much appreciate it!

#1) http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iBook-Drive-Internal-Combo/dp/B000PQHI7C/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298849913&sr=1-5

#2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000YFVSAW/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&qid=1298849913&sr=1-7&condition=refurbished

7. simsaladimbamba

I would go with the 1.33GHz and 1GB RAM model, but you do realise, that those are over five years old?

And now for the obvious thread title part:

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

welcome to MR ... good luck and don't worry about your thread title:cool:

9. Pumas927 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thanks. :) Seems like a nice place to be so far.
    And about the models being over five years old- like I have said before, I am on a budget. Being a college student doesn't help my bank account. Right now, the models being over five years old doesn't bother me.

10. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

If you could possibly up your budget to about $400, you could get a decent macbook on ebay. I recently picked up a core 2 duo 2.16, 2gb, etc black macbook on ebay for $430. The older model white macbooks can get gotten for 350-400 if you pay attention to the listings.

11. eman macrumors 6502a

Do not buy an ibook, buy a macbook; macbooks have the Intel processors and will be faster and you can run windows. Check Craigslist and meet in a public place. You should be able to buy a nice core 2 duo macbook between $400 and $500.