New to Macs, 13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mt229431, Apr 14, 2010.

1. mt229431 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Originally posted this in the wrong place, and am hoping for some better input here.

I have been a PC user until this point, and have decided to switch to a macbook pro. The issue I am having, is which one?! I was hoping for a 13", but the 15" inch seemed to get better upgrades (although there are no performance comparisons up yet...)

The laptop will mainly be used for work, which doesn't involve any hardcore photo or video editing software, just being able to have several windows open at once with lag free switching, and possibly running windows at the same time. The issue I am having is which laptop will suit my gaming needs best. Right now I play World of Warcraft on an old pc desktop, with only 1.5 GB of RAM, and 128MB ATI Radeon card. It plays fine on low settings, minus Dalaran where I get 10 fps typically. I'd like to be able to play WoW on my new MBP, with higher settings, not necessarily the best, but a higher FPS would be nice. Also, when StarCraft 2, and maybe Diablo 3 comes out, I'd like to be able to play them; again, not necessarily on high graphics. I am not a hardcore gamer, and have no desire to play any first-person shooters with demanding hardware requirements. Also, I have a 24" monitor to hook the laptop up to when at home, so screen size is not an issue. I also don't mind carrying a 15" vs 13" around. Price is the real difference here. I'm confused! Which laptop would best suit my needs in the opinion of you forum posters?

Also, regarding AppleCare, should this also be purchased? Or is it more like the "extended warranties" from other electronic retailers? Is it worth the extra expense?

I appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!

2. dendritic cells macrumors member

If you worry so much about gaming, I would go for a 15 with discrete graphic. Check out notebookcheck.net for gaming performance and comparisons between GPUs. You might want to read around this forum as well, plenty of discussions 13 vs 15 already! :D

You will get 1 year Apple care with your (future) MBP, and you can decide to extend it during this period. It's a bit pricey for me tho.