New to Macs, help with itunes transfer from PC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theclipper, Aug 6, 2009.

1. theclipper macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I finally got my brand new MBP 13''. It is a great machine. As the title notes, this is my very first Mac, so I don't really know the innerworkings of them well.

I wanted to try and copy over my itunes music and stats from my PC. I wanted to try and keep all my playlists, ratings, playcounts, etc. as well as all my songs. I'm wondering if there is a best way to do this? Also, is there a good way to keep a library synced between the PC and Mac? Or will that be way too much work.

Also, I synced up my gmail to work the Mac mail program, only problem is that it put all my email from Gmail in the new folder. Every piece of mail that was archived in Gmail is now showing up in the new folder. Do you guys have any idea how I could fix that.

Lastly, is there any site or blog that highlights all the great things one can do with a Mac. I feel like I need a quick tutorial on the good free programs to get as well as little shortcuts that will save time.

I apologize that this post went a bit off topic, but, I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed trying to figure out how to work my MBP best.

Thanks!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Check this article regarding iTunes.

If you just want to get your e-mails to show up as read, Hit Apple + A to highlight all, and then Apple + Shift + U to mark them all as unread. If you want to get them out of your inbox, create a folder(s) within Mail and drag the e-mails how you want out of G-Mail. Or if you dont want them to even show up, that setting can be changed from within G-Mail.
    Here is a list of free apps.

3. theclipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the links. I am trying the ipod method, but the article kind of confuses me about having a library bigger than the ipod. My ipod only has 32GB and my library is nearly 100GB. I'm wondering how this will work.

Thanks

4. theclipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, with the folders in mail, is there a way to make it so one folder will sync up with my archived messages in Gmail? My hope is that I could archive a message online from my PC and it would then get added to the archive folder on my Mac and vice versa.

And thank you so much for helping me out, I really appreciate it!

5. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

It's actually command not apple. Why do people insist on telling new mac users to use the apple key when it is known that all newer macs do not have the key labeled as such