New to Macs iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Unkei, May 20, 2012.

1. Unkei macrumors member

Unkei

Hi all,
    After 30+ years of being a Windows guy, finally made the switch to Mac about 1 month ago. Bought an the basic 21.5 inch iMac so I could use it on a Wheeled Table Tray with 1 small drawer. (think fancy version of Hospital food and wash-up wheeled tray!) I have a beautiful custom made Rolltop Oak desk, but wanted to use it in the family room, so I could be close to my wife while she's watching TV. Could have afforded the 27 in version, but could not have used it comfortably on the Tray Table. ( I seldom watch TV)
    I got the wireless keyboard and magic mouse. I bought the magic trackpad and use it instead of mouse.
    Have cataracts so the ability to zoom in with a gesture was a big selling point to switch to the Mac world! Still getting used to the differences between Windows and Mac, but all good so far! Have to put out the $ for the Mac version of Adobe Photoshop, so NOT happy about that!
    Other than having this issue, and needing to exchange original for new Mac due to downloading and installing WiFi update from Apple, everything has gone well. The update put my first iMac into a perpetual reboot loop and I could not get it to boot. Oh well!
    Unkei

2. zarf2007 macrumors regular

Hey Unkei, welcome aboard. I'm sure in six months from now you'll wonder why you didnt change earlier.....now you can get on and enjoy a real computer without the bloatware that drags you down with windows.....:)

3. mike457 macrumors 6502

Congratulations and welcome! :) I switched over in 2003 and now hate every time I have to use Windows.

I had the same problem with Adobe when I switched. I don't know if this is still possible, but Adobe used to allow you to transfer the PC license to a Mac license. All I had to do was to pay for them to send me the new media; only about $40 if I remember. Contact them and see if they still do that.

4. Unkei thread starter macrumors member

Unkei

New to Macs iMac

Thanks, I'll check into that.
    Unkei

5. PaulCostello macrumors member

Welcome! I made the switch about 3 months ago. I was a windows guy for 20+ years. You won't look back!

6. zone23, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

zone23 macrumors 68000

Some here I switched about a month and a half ago (after 20+ years of Windows). Went all Mac bought the 21.5" iMac too, MacBook Pro (i7), Time Capsule replaced a Windows Home Server, Air Express, iPad and Apple TV. First thing I did was upgrade all the RAMs because RAM is cheap when you buy new PCs but down the road say in a year or more it gets expensive. Anyway loving it so far the big thing for me is I like to be able to develop for Android and compiling Google Source can't be done on Windows.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I switched in 2005 for my home use after working with Windows since..well actually before that - it was DOS 3. I just got tired of constant updating of anti-virus files, paying subscription fees, etc.