New To Macs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by USBecks, Sep 12, 2011.

1. USBecks macrumors newbie

Hi Folks,

I just purchased my 1st Mac Computer..An iMac 21.5" i5. It is beautiful..:)

I am a longtime PC user and quite frankly I feel a bit lost in the Apple world. I wanted to ask you all what would be the best place to learn about tips/tricks ?
    Aside from the taking classes at the apple store, what would you suggest. I feel a little like I'm learning to walk again.

Thank You.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use your Mac and if you run into a problem use Google.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

One place to look around in is the Mac Guides here on MacRumors. When you look through the thread listing in a forum, just above the list of threads you can also find related Guides there too.

4. USBecks thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Macs. Being an ex PC fanatic (I still keep one for a gaming machine) I understand the trepidation of stepping into the Apple Universe. I have "MACified" my whole family now and the first thing I point them to as a basic intro is to visit the Apple website and go through some of the video tutorials. They provide a very first step anyways.

6. tootall macrumors regular

Actually that is exactly what I did. I would work and for the first week or so, I would google my problem every time I would get stuck. The amount of googling decreases exponentially after just a few days.

I would also browse the new posts in this forum. I guarantee you that you will feel comfortable with a mac after just a week.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

8. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

In 2 days my imac 21.5 i5 comes :rolleyes::D

im exactly like you man, i have no clue about mac os but im already reading here the tips and also lookin on youtube sum tutorials..
    Yours came with lion or leopard?

9. tonka2, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

tonka2 macrumors member

These two sites should help:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/"
    and "]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2477"]

Good luck, and as one of the posters said, it should take you about a week to feel your way around. Suggestion: Just read up on what you actually need at the present, print it if you can, that way you won't fill your head with too many things at one time. Your Finder Help basically is for files, folders, anything in that category. While Safari Help is for everything else.

10. USBecks thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow..Thank you all so much for the hand holding. I really do appreciate you all for taking the time to help me with great suggestions. I actually feel better knowing there is a place to run to when I need help. Thank You..:)

malias4,
    I picked up my iMac 1 week ago to the day at an Apple Store. It had Snow Leopard on it. Apple loaded Lion onto for me. It took about 15 minutes, or so.

Dadioh,

I too have a Digital Storm PC which is strictly used for gaming. I don't even surf the web with it. I had another PC which I used for web browsing and photo/movie editing (Lightroom). Unfortunately that rig died. I purchased the iMac i5 for web browsing and my photography. I am very excited about the iMac, and in all honesty was some what relieved when my PC died. I didn't wait 36 hours b4 I ran out to Apple. I am excited to learn Aperture 3.

Now if I could only call in sick for the next week or so, and immerse myself in the iMac..:p

tonka2, aziatiklover, tootall and miles01110..Thank You for the suggestions and the links to helpful sites

US Becks