New to macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrisvatah, May 31, 2006.

1. chrisvatah macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a windows hp, but I think I'm going to get a mac. I do a lot of video editing, flash, webdesign, and photoshop work. I just wanted to know which mac I should get (space wise). I don't think the mac mini would suit my video work and picture work. If you could, give me some advice on which mac to buy. Thanks,
    Chris

2. Queso Suspended

Hello Chris

It really depends on a couple of factors. Firstly, how much do you want to spend, and secondly is portability something you feel is important?

I would be saying iMac 20", but it may be wrong depending on the answers to those questions.

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Yes, I would also say a 20" imac. It's powerful, elegent and will last you a long time. Otherwise something like a Macbook Pro or even Macbook or you want a portable.

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

Adobe CS isn't a universal app yet - you might want to either get a used G5 or just hold off.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ditto. A refurb G5 will save you some money, let you experience the Mac, and not have to worry about non-Universal applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Then, once the PowerMac replacements are announced (Mac Pros) you can make a more informed purchasing decision.

It sounds like you might be a "power" or pro user, so I'd tread carefully; they're the last line (sans servers) to make the Intel switch so a lot could change in the next few months.

6. chrisvatah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you everyone for replying. Price isn't too much of a concern and It doesn't have to be protable at all. Hope this helps,
    Chris

7. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Costco the G5, then return within 6 months for a feeler. (This is like the trillionth time I've attempted to get others to scam Costco.. I LOVE THAT PLACE BTW). Then consider the 20 inch (such a thing of beauty) and pricegrabber it (or retail if you don't like waiting). Don't forget to upgrade the RAM!

8. chrisvatah thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, well thank you guys for all the help. I think I'm going to just get the 20" Imac you guys recomended. Thanks and if I have any other questions, I'll ask.
    Chris

9. Queso Suspended

Nice one Chris. You know where we are if you have any questions :)

10. sunrobby macrumors regular

i have adobe cs2 installed on my MBP and it's working though it's not universal yet, i just wonder maybe i will get some functionality not working? I havent use it too much and so far so good.. i also have logic express, shake.. they are not universal either but it's working. That's what rosetta should working right? make non universal app works on intel mac?