New to Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theperson, Apr 16, 2007.

1. theperson macrumors member

Hey guys. I'm a little new to Macs (I got all the terminology down but..). I'm getting an old iBook (the craazy colored one) tomorrow, and I'm planning to update it to Tiger. Will Tiger run on it without a slowdown, or do I have to go for 10.2 or something? Thanks in advance :D

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How much RAM will it have? That will really determine how well an OS will run on it, but I don't think putting Tiger on is such a great idea :)

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Which iBook version do you have? If it doesn't have Firewire, it won't run Tiger at all. You'll have to use 10.3.9 instead. The ones with Firewire will run Tiger, but I don't have any idea about performance.

4. theperson thread starter macrumors member

Apparently it's the final revision of the first iBook design.. according to Wikipedia it's an iBook G3 FireWire/SE.

5. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

It will run Tiger, but it probably will be a little slow. How much ram do you have in it?

6. theperson thread starter macrumors member

It's got the default RAM.. nothing was added or taken out.

7. PDiPietro macrumors member

PDiPietro

I'm not sure of the maximum amount of RAM you could put in it, but if you can get it up to 256, it would probably run at least somewhat all right.

Realistically, Panther might be a better idea as a few have said.

8. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Is this what you are talking about?

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook-se2.shtml

As far as I can see by those specs you should be able to install Tiger with no problems. It has both Firewire and DVD-ROM. I honestly cannot see it running that smooth though even if you were to max the RAM. If anything, I would reccomend Panther since it is not as taxing on the processor with apps like Dashboard and Spotlight. :D

9. mattibek macrumors member