New to Mac's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by primusrocks, Jun 23, 2007.

1. primusrocks macrumors newbie

primusrocks

Hi,
    I know you have heard this a million times before. But i was just wondering, since i am new to macs and this site in general. What are the pros and cons between going to mac and staying with macs (i know this will be somewhat biased since this is a mac site. But i know you all have to have some opinions on this.) And since i am thinkin about getting the macbook pro. What are some of the potential problems that i might run into. I think that from what i have seen that these are great computers but i know there are always two sides to the coin so im just trying to watch out for my investment. Thanks a bunch.

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

This is a great site for getting the information you need. What I would do is go into the MacRumors forums page and find the search button- then do a search for "new to Mac", "PC vs Mac" "newbie Mac" "switch" or "switcher" or something like that and see what comes up. There have been hundreds of threads covering this topic just in the last month or two. I will do a search and see what I can find.

What we need to know is this:

What computer are you used to working on- be specific as to brand, Operation system, Mghz of processor, processor, etc if you can.

What do you do with your computer (or expect to do with your new computer in the next five years or so) (ie. gaming, email, surfing, power programs such as PhotoShop, CS, etc. - again, be very specific!!!)

Do you need a portable Mac?

any other information you can provide will help us give you more specific answers.

You will get honest answers from most everyone here- this is a very large community and many have recently switched from PC to Mac so there are plenty of threads and people willing to help you-

Good luck.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

definitely need to know what you want to use the computer for. what experience you have with computers. what apps and such you'd like to run etc.

Macs are great. but they aren't for everyone either.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Here are some links to forum threads with some info- have not read them so hopefully they will help. (they are not the best threads- maybe someone else can point some out?)

Thread LInk 1

Thread Link 2

Thread LInk 3

Thread to switching blog

Switcher thread

One more thing to keep in mind- the Mac is an extremely reliable and STABLE machine UNLESS one starts tweaking it too much. You can download most software and change lots of things without affecting its reliability, but there are many people out there that tweak their Mac so much they see issues come up. Just keep that in mind when looking over threads- many issues described in threads are the result of that sort of tweaking!

Also, go to Apple.com and look at the various pages about software that comes with the mac, the hardware pages, the .Mac page, etc. to get more info.

5. primusrocks thread starter macrumors newbie

primusrocks

Why would you say that? If they can run windows and OS X and so on. What would the the use of staying with windows now?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Consider the extreme gamer. He wants dual-SLI cards on a motherboard where he can change the hardware settings to eek out every last ounce of performance. That is just one example. Most of the exceptions will be on the fringes, however.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Some people just like building their own machines too- Some people just like a cheap computer too- notice I said cheap not inexpensive. :D

8. mikehokie macrumors regular

Or crossfire, although from what I have been hearing the 2900 ATI HD card is about on par with the 8800 GTS. Considering that is ATI's HIGHEST end card that right there is pretty sad.