New to MailMerge - Trying to split up data from Excel into individual Word documents

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dubis07, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dubis07 macrumors member

I'm running an experiment that will give me a spreadsheet in Excel with 20 participants names, addresses, email addresses, and profits (from the experiment). My goal is to take this data and create individual receipts in Word that have all the above information and can be printed out and handed to the individuals (20 receipts). I have access to Office 2004 (Mac) or 2007 (Windows). Could someone else me through this process? I would really, really appreciate it!

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

I tried to do the same thing.

It is much more complicated than it seems like it should be.

The issue is, in the creation of the filenames, the merge has no access to data to give you unique names based on the merge.

I did all sorts of searching around this, and found several windows scripts that purport to help with it, and they 'kind of' worked on my Windows laptop.

However, windows or OS X, I finally settled on just creating all the merges into one large file, and then copy/pasting the individual documents into their own files. Using some key short cuts can make it faster, and I've considered making an automator script to make it even faster - but I haven't yet. I have to do this twice a month and it is only 45% irritating.

-Allen